Chapter 6

*Flashbacks are in Bold

He stroked her hair in his sleep and circled her waist to bring her closer. After baring his heart in front of her just a few hours back, he had slept after some time but Waniya wasn't that lucky. Her mind was a mess. She hadn't thought he would say something like this. She always knew he was back to her, getting her back into his life just for the sake of their baby. This new revelation had left her unsettled. He was ashamed of his doings. He was keeping a distance just to ensure he wouldn't hurt her even more. She was in a new conflict now. A part of her heart was asking her to let go of the past and embrace him back in her life, while the other was scolding her for even considering this option. No matter what his reasons were, he had let her down. She was on the verge of losing her baby because of the situation he put her into. They were always so open in their relation. Was it so necessary for him to shut her out just because he didn't want to hurt her? Even if his intentions were not bad still his ignorance did more harm than good. And what about she saw with her own eyes at his office? Him hugging Seemab? What was his explanation of this?

Past few days had changed her so much. She had turned into a cynical woman from a happy go lucky girl. Everything used to look fishy. Every emotion superficial. Everyone on a purpose to do her any harm they could. She had faced so much that she had forgotten there were few people who loved her to bits. The man sleeping next to her was the one who claimed to be one of them. She took a deep breath. It was way too early to forget everything and move on. She couldn't do it. He had a long way to go if he wanted her forgiveness.

___________

Sometimes life puts you in situations where you can't understand what's going on around you. But you're sure of one thing. It's real. Everything happening around you is real.

His condition wasn't different. The woman in his arms was the one he could give his life for. But her condition had left his heart into pieces. Her pale face. The dark bags under her eyes. She had lost a considerable amount of weight as well. He didn't know what was happening, only one sentence echoing in his ears.

"Save our baby. Don't let me down...this time...please.."

A baby? Their baby?

He held her from her arms when a worried Hareem came rushing to them.

"Let her get to the doctor."

Hareem said frantically. Soon the doctor was also there taking Waniya inside. Hareem just looked at Ahmer. She knew he needed answers but right now Waniya shouldn't be left alone. So giving him a nod, she had gotten inside.

Ahmer stood there looking at the closed door. The voices around him were amild buzzing while the noise inside of his head was deafening.

____________

Hareem looked over at Ahmer's slumped form and sighed. She had just narrated the whole story of what had happened. Waniya was inside and the doctor was looking after her. Both Rehana and the nurse weren't anywhere to be found.

"This is it I guess."

Hareem mumbled and then there was silence.

A silence in which Ahmer was dying a thousand deaths every second. His world had tumbled and the ground shook beneath him. He staggered backwards. Waniya was pregnant. She was abandoned. Knowing her family he could join the dots and every revelation was making his heart sink deeper in the pit of nothingness.