3: HUMILIATION

"You have to love. You have to feel. It's the reason why you're here on Earth. You are here to risk your heart."- Louise Erdrish

"Did you find her?" Monica asked Lydia in worry

"Yes, mum. She's at Crescent's house," Lydia spoke throwing herself on the sofa. Looking up, her eyes fell on her brother Nathanael. "I'm sorry for what she said. I don't know what is happening to her lately."

"Don't apologize we all make mistakes from time to time unfortunately in her opinion, been me is mine," Nathanael spoke as he took a seat next to her on the sofa.

"Who is Crescent anyway?"

"It's her boyfriend," Lydia whispered robbing her temples knowing extremely well what would come after her declaration, but not feeling as to lie to him.

Nathanael's brows knitted into a frown. "Boyfriend? You mean Anna left home and she's presently at a boy's house and you left her there, Lydia?"

"Nathanael, Crescent is a good boy we know him for a longtime now," Monica interfered into the conversation with a sigh.

"A good boy," Nathanael repeated with a fake laughter. "Is he just as good as Dad? Because I remember that you accidentally found yourself pregnant of me at the age of sixteen," he asked before turning back to Lydia. "There is no good boy in this world. Where is that boy living? I will go and take back my sister." Nathanael picked his car keys from the glass table.

"Nathanael, you are going too far in my opinion. Leave her there it is not the first time she spends the night there."

"I'm going too far? My sixteen years old sister who just dyed her hair, has become quite sassy, moody, rude and lordy is out at her so called boyfriend's house doing God knows what. Look, we are not in Europe here we are in Africa precisely in Cameroon. What will people say if they hear about it?"

Monica stood up and walked to stand in front of her son. Raising her head, she stared straight into Nathanael's dark eyes. "Son, please calm down. It's the new generation."

Nathanael's eyes grew wide. "New generation? Mum, what happened to you? Your daughter is outside in the night and she's only sixteen and a sixteen years old girl is supposed to be in her house at nine PM not outside!"

"Nathanael, don't forget that Keira was sixteen years when she met you and you became her greatest love and her husband. It was around sixteen years old that you made her live a real fairytale."

Nathanael paused, a wave of memory rushing over him. He saw himself again at the age of fifteen in form five (eleventh grade) at Holy Cross International College Yaounde the first time he met Keira. By then she was in form two (eighth grade) and was one of his Lydia's classmate who soon became her best friend.

Back then, Lydia couldn't stop speaking about her sweet and kind hearted twelve years old friend who came from the southern part of the country. At that time Nathanael thought of Keira as another of Lydia's hysteric friend obsessed with things like telenovelas, E! news and infamous French musicians. However, as years moved by and both of Nathanael and Keira's paths kept on crossing again and again in so many circumstances too weird to be left unnoticed, Nathanael quickly realized that Eddia Keira was far different from what he had thought. Eddia Keira was just as his sister had told him; she was unique.