making friends

Nikki Black sat next to Freddie in his Monday morning lecture, in the second week of class. He was grateful for a two reasons. The first reason was because Lydia had bluntly told him he needed to make some friends that were in the same state as him, and she was right. The second reason was Freddie had this odd feeling like he was being watched. It'd been building throughout his first week of classes and no matter how hard he tried to shake it he couldn't. He was starting to worry that he might be going legitimately crazy but Nikki Black clarified a few things very quickly.

"What's it like having a fan club watch your every move?" she asked without saying hello or introducing herself.

"Sorry?" Freddie questioned.

Nikki gave Freddie an agonised look that reminded him of Lydia in a comforting way, "don't tell me you haven't noticed?"

"Noticed what?" Freddie asked.

"Take a quick squiz behind ya?" she said lifting a shoulder like an arrow pointing in the right direction.

Freddie turned around quickly and what he saw as about thirty girls turn away at the same time as though they'd just been caught doing something they shouldn't. He turned back to Nikki.

"Oh," he said trying to figure out how to explain the situation. "That's a bit weird I guess."

"A bit weird I'm sure," Nikki agreed her words tinged with laughter. "I'm Nikki by the way."

"Freddie," he said with a smile thinking to himself that maybe making friends wouldn't be too hard after all.