Chapter 5: Letters

A year...

It was nearing a year since Thomas began observing the Dursleys and Harry, which to be frank, he was tired of. He and Severus were currently standing outside of the quaint home they came to know over the last several months of watching the Muggles and Mr. Potter.

As a matter of fact...Today was a horrid day...a horrid day indeed... It was Dudley Dursley's birthday, Tommy could distinctly remember groaning this morning when he  was reminded, the blob was already spoiled as it stood. A birthday was bound to add on to the child's ego.

In the vast amount of time that Thomas was observing the overweight family, he came to understand just how cruel they were to poor Harry Potter, the boy was quite unlucky to be stuck with them....personally, Thomas would have taken his chances with Voldemort.

The house was currently bustling with activity as Dudley was busy throwing a tantrum about not having enough presents whilst Harry was busy eating his food quietly, humble lad he was.

"You know," Thomas began, prompting Severus to look down at him, "I'm still not used to how they treat the poor sod, he doesn't deserve it--"

"That is not of importance," Severus cut him off, "All that matters right now...is observing them." The older man noticed the brown haired boy's scowl, "You must learn to control your emotions, Donovan. Anger will bring about conflict, sadness will give birth to grief and sympathy--"

"--gives us weakness," Tommy rolled his eyes, "Yeah, we've been down this bloody road before Severus, thank you."

Severus hummed, "Well...then stop forcing me to bring it up," Tommy seemed to deflate a bit, so Severus added, "Also, I almost forgot, seeing as your birthday will be coming up soon....Your observation duties have been, nullified."

"Really?" Thomas seemed to perk up, "Why exactly?"

"Didn't I just say it was because of you birthday?" Severus was annoyed.

"No, I heard you," Thomas folded his arms, "But I don't believe it for a second, Severus...So tell me...Why?"

Severus sighed, "Because soon, Mr. Potter will be receiving his acceptance letter, and you...along with Hagrid will be collecting the child."

"But why not just send the chap his letter and be done with it?" Thomas asked, but was more than well aware that the Vernon and Petunia would just discard it.

"You and I both know why," Severus watched as the family all exited the house and made their way to the car with a disgruntled Harry being somewhat dragged and warned, "First, we'll send all of his acceptance letters to rile them up a bit...then, we'll take a more--"

"--hands on approach?" Thomas raised a brow at Severus and Albus' blatant plans.
"That's one way of putting it, yes," Severus said as the Dursley family already left the house and began their trek to the zoo, as Severus and Tommy heard Dudley's parents planning it earlier today.

"But, why aren't you collecting Potter if this is so important?" Thomas noticed Severus tense slightly.

"No more questions, Donovan," Severus took out his wand and the boy grabbed his arm, "Let's go."

As Thomas and Severus were apparated to another location, they waited for the Dursley family to arrive at the zoo. When they did, Thomas scoffed when he saw Harry hop out from inside of the trunk of the car. "Those bloody animals...." he trailed off when he saw them all enter the zoo and stop to talk to another set of parents.

"Quit scowling and let's go," Severus dragged him along.

"And if I tell you that, I get whacked with a newspaper," Thomas snickered as they eventually stopped by a wall a good ways from Harry and his family whom were buying treats for Dudley and a friend whom Thomas recognized as Piers, another bully to Harry. Piers seemed to have gotten there a little after the Dursley's and was left by his parents to spend a day with Dudley, since it was the ungrateful bloke's 'special' day.

Thomas and Severus spent the remainder of the trip tailing the group of adults and children as they visited different parts of the zoo. Tommy, in particular, found it incredibly hard to resist the urge of going and keeping Harry company, the frail kid was just... there...nobody to talk to, to interact with, even in a public place, Harry Potter seemed isolated. This brought back unwelcoming memories for Thomas as he remembered his days in his orphanage, where even when he was with the rest of the kids...none of them ever acknowledged him. It was like he was nothing, worst than the spec of dust on the cupboards, at least they were swept aside, he was barely even looked at.

Oddly enough, the only company he ever had...was the snakes hiding in the basement of the orphanage, bloody woman never called animal control whatsoever to rectify the problem...but maybe it was for the better, seeing as the snakes WERE in fact, friendly.

Being on the topic of snakes, it seemed that the group had decided to visit the reptile exhibit, Severus and Thomas followed. Harry seemed to be captivated by the Boa Constrictor whom was asleep, the snake was easily the most giant one in the entirety of the reptiles.

Thomas clicked his tongue in annoyance when he saw Dudley tap on the glass loudly, Harry seemed just as annoyed. "The snake should have a go at the overgrown twit..." Tommy muttered before a ghastly idea popped into his head.

He looked at Severus whom was observing a python. Taking this as his chance, Thomas spoke in the snake language, sure that it would awaken the snake, "Get up," he seethed out and as if on cue, the boa's eyes opened.

A smile found its way to Tommy's face as he watched Harry smile in amazement. Harry and the snake seemed to be having a conversation and Tommy's smile grew, Harry could talk to snakes too...The brown haired boy's smile disappeared however, when Dudley and Piers shoved the boy out of the way. Dudley and Piers were leaning against the glass in fascination and Tommy discreetly pointed out his wand, "Finestra!"
As Harry was busy tending to his aching ribs he suddenly looked back up after hearing Dudley and his friend scream, the glass to the sanctuary for the constrictor was gone, as if it was never there.

Harry watched, utterly amazed as the snake slithered its way to him, he could have sworn the snake said, "I'll see you around, amigo!" Breaking into a grin Harry followed the snake with his eyes as it slithered through the terrified crowd of people.
Thomas smiled as the snake came towards him and as it passed, the snake used its tail and gave his outstretched hand a discreet slap as it made an escape for Brazil.