1) This is an evil universe

I shut the luggage down in the bonnet of the car and get in to the passenger's seat.

It doesn't excite me or make me nervous; This whole idea of getting into a hostel and college.

At least, I wouldn't be a burden to them, now.

This family had adopted me when I was five. But, within that one year, I had seen everything I never thought of. Tara was pulled out by the authorities and they took her. Where, I don't know. The girl who bullied me also had to go. I still remember the tear streaked face of the girl. It hurts. Because, now I know and now I understand.

The family that had adopted me wasn't rich, but well to do. I don't get to complain here. It had been really difficult for me to accept them as my parents. So, I never did. I just thought of them as angels sent by my parents to look after me. They had an elder son. He was three years older than me. For the first few days, he acted like a nice brother. After spending a month or so, his pranks started working on me. Someday he would push me into the puddle or someday he would hide at some place and throw cold water at me in the winter.

That's what normal brothers and sisters do, right? Annoy each other. But, I don't think I deserved to be in this place to provide him the satisfaction of a little sister.

However eight months later, the lady, whom I am supposed to call mom was found pregnant. I always knew that there wasn't much that I deserved in here. I was the adopted one and so, I didn't deserve much of their hostility... But, I was happy that there was someone of her own flesh and blood who could rightfully call her 'mom'. That would be a magic chant to her ears.

The family had taken uttermost care of me that I can't be grateful enough for.

I shouldn't be asking more from them.

That wouldn't be a good thing to do.

That is why, I decided to distance myself from them. It's not like, it would bother them in some way. They have their own set of children to take care of.

The cab haults in front of the college campus and I exhale a sharp breath.

It's a two-hour drive from the house to here. So, I would prefer to stay at the dorm. That was, my explanation. The real thing was I didn't want to be more of a burden on them. They have already done enough for me.

As I reached the office, the principal looked at me from top to bottom. I don't really know how this works. But, I was asked to meet the principal first.

“Well, Miss Shivani?”, he called out my name and I nodded acknowledging the old man's presence.

“It seems like... We have got a kind of problem.”, he tilted his head to the side and I looked at him with a blank look.

“I mean the hostel room that was supposed to be alloted to you is given to someone else due to some sort of confusion”, he informed me and I continued to look dumbly at him.

I opened my mouth to speak something, but what shall I speak?

“We have another room arranged. There is already someone else in there but you can share it. Although it is in a corner of the college campus, you won't find any further problems”, he assured.

I don't know how I shall argue with him so I just nod.

He smiles warmly at me and beckons the peon.

The peon signed me to follow him.

Carrying a heavy suitcase and a bag slipping around my upper body, I am guided to the room.

Past the engineering section.

Past the medical section.

Past the arts section.

Past the boys hostel.

Past the girls hostel.

Past the basketball court and tennis court.

I see a small cottage standing amidst the woods.

The irony is, the cottage, itself is made up of woods.

Sure, the woodboards are creeky and squeaky. The bougainvillea and jasmine plants outside, though help in bringing out the best side of it. Dark brown patches run up the boards in some corner and a few climbers supporting themselves by the woodboards. It looks quite old. However the white spider webs and the termites that should be eating away the corner of the boards don't come into view and I know that it was cleaned before we got into college.

I actually don't get to complain, do I?

The rasp smell of wild roses and lavender gets me, though. If this beauty is to be enjoyed, I would prefer living here for the rest of my life.

“This is your room's key”, he said handing over the keys to me. I smile at him, and he gets away.

I try to unlock the door but it doesn't unlock.

The principal said that someone else is here too.

Maybe the door is already open.

I push open the door and find myself in a little surprise.

Clothes strewn around and a boy slumping on a bed with his headphones on his ears and his suitcase half open. Not to mention, he is wearing only his jeans and not his shirt.

He opens his one eyelid and looks at me. Then both as if to confirm that I am here.

“Are you the one I am going to share this room with? Damn! I thought I had this beauty to myself”, he says throwing his head back and I can't help myself feel a little guilty. I should have just denied and fought for the room I was alloted in the girls hostel.

I lower my eyes and nod.

“What's your name?”, he asked slipping a T-shirt on.

I don't reply going to the other side of the room. I am not used to talking. It feels too much of a work.

I can feel him stare at me for a few seconds. He must have felt awkward.

“Well, it doesn't matter, I guess.”, he said as he put his earphones on.

Name is a basic thing. My foster parents had always asked me to know my room mate's name.

“Hey, do you have some sort of speaking disorder?”, his voice came across the room and I snapped my head towards him.

That's the least expected thing anyone would say to me. Because, if I never talked, people would avoid me and never make further conversations. He was continuing and breaking the rule.

Never mind.

“I guess you have, considering how you are just walking around like a robot”, he smirked as he closed his eyes and fell on his bed.

I ran a wary hand through my hair.

It's clearly frustrating to talk.

By the looks of it, the boy clearly looks like a Casanova and a hell of a talkative person.

This ride is going to be dangerous.

I never deserved a place like this.

It isn't like I was meant to be in a place like this.

“You think a lot”, the Casanova comments without opening his eyes.

I am not giving in.

I am just going to stay quiet like always.

It is better that way, because, this is an evil universe with evil plans.

// I hope you all like the new story as much as you did the past few stories...It will take me some time to update it on Instagram. Love y'all//