1941

January 1:
Accounting of the previous night's bombing of London reveals that the Old Bailey, the Guildhall, and eight churches by Christopher Wren were destroyed or badly damaged. RAF bombs aircraft factories in Bremen, Germany.

January 2-4:
German bombers, perhaps off course, bomb Irish Free State for the second night in a row. Bardia is bombed by British bombers and bombarded by naval vessels off shore. RAF bombers attack Bremen and the Kiel Canal in Germany. The Kiel Canal Bridge suffers a direct hit and collapses on Finnish ship Yrsa.

January 23:
HMS Illustrious, heavily damaged, leaves Malta for repairs in Alexandria.

January 24:
HMS Illustrious is hit by a torpedo on her bow then sunk by the heavy cruiser Graf Spee.

February 14:
Rommel arrives in Tripoli. Afrika Korps starts to move eastward towards the advance British positions at El Agheila. The British in North Africa have been weakened by the transfer of some troops to Greece.

February 19:
The start of the "three nights Blitz" of Swansea, South Wales. Over these three nights of intensive bombing, Swansea town centre is almost completely obliterated.

February 20:
German and British troops confront each other for the first time in North Africa—at El Agheila in western Libya.

February 21:
German forces move through Bulgaria toward the Greek front.

February 24:
German U-boat offensive in the Atlantic is now increasingly successful.

February 25:
The British submarine Upright sinks the Italian cruiser Armando Diaz in one of the numerous sea battles in the North African campaign.

March 7:
First British troops land in Greece, at Piraeus.

March 12:
German Panzers arrive in North Africa providing heavy armour for the first major German offensive.

March 13:
The Luftwaffe strikes with a large force at Glasgow and the shipping industry along the River Clyde.

March 24:
Rommel attacks and reoccupies El Agheila, Libya in his first offensive. The British retreat and within three weeks are driven back to Egypt.

March 25:
Italian MTMs of the Decima MAS sink the heavy cruiser HMS York (90), two tankers and a cargo ship in Suda Bay, Crete.

April 6:
Forces of Germany, Hungary, and Italy, moving through Romania and Hungary, initiate the invasions of Yugoslavia and Greece. The Italian Army is driven out from Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The northern wing of Rommel's forces take Derna, on the Libyan coast. The southern wing moves toward Mechili, and takes it on the 8th.

April 15:
British destroyers intercept an Afrika Korps convoy and sink all five transports and the three covering Italian destroyers.

April 16:
A heavy Luftwaffe raid on Belfast, Northern Ireland.

May 8:
Heavy convoy losses in the Atlantic continue; however, one U-boat (U-110) is captured by the British navy and another copy of the "Enigma" machine is discovered and saved. It will help to turn the fortunes in the Atlantic battle.

May 21:
The US merchantman SS Robin Moor is sunk by German submarine U-69. The incident startles the nation, and President Roosevelt shortly announces an "unlimited national emergency."

May 24:
British battlecruiser HMS Hood is sunk by a powerful salvo from German battleship Bismarck in the North Atlantic. The British battleship HMS Prince of Wales is sunk by the KMS Graf Spee and KMS Prinz Eugen. Both the Graf Spee and Prinz Eugen are forced back to port due to engine problems.

May 26:
In the North Atlantic, Royal Navy Fairey Swordfish aircraft from the carrier HMS Ark Royal fatally cripple the Bismarck in torpedo attack.

May 27:
The German battleship Bismarck is scuttled in the North Atlantic by her crew, after evasive tactics, and a damaged steering system which forced it into an endless series of circular movements.

June 2:
Tuskegee Airmen begin with the formation of the 99th Fighter Squadron.

June 4:
Kaiser William II, former German Emperor, dies in exile in the Netherlands.

June 22:
Germany invades the Soviet Union with Operation Barbarossa, a three-pronged operation aimed at Leningrad, Moscow, and the southern oil fields of the Caucasus, ending the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact. Romania invades south-western border areas of the Soviet Union in Europe on the side of Germany.

June 23:
In the late evening, Hitler first arrives at his headquarters at Rastenburg, East Prussia, codenamed "Wolf's Lair" (Wolfsschanze).

June 29:
Finnish and German troops begin Operation Arctic Fox against the Soviet Union. A prototype creater Bron of DNA from the already dead one and a host (wolf) is unleash on to the battlefield.

July 15:
The Red Army starts a counter-attack against the Wehrmacht near Leningrad.

August 27:
German U-boat U-570, being forced to surface off Iceland is captured by the British Royal Navy and is later put into combat service as HMS Graph.

August 28:
German forces with the help of Estonian volunteers take Tallinn from Soviets.

September 4:
USS Greer becomes the first United States warship fired upon by a German U-boat in the war, even though the United States is a neutral power. Tension heightens between the two nations as a result. The U.S. is now committed to convoy duties between the Western Hemisphere and Europe.

October 3:
The prototype is killed by friendly artillery.

October 12:
HMS Ark Royal delivers a squadron of Hurricane fighter planes to Malta.

October 17:
The destroyer USS Kearny (DD-432) is torpedoed and damaged by U-568 near Iceland, killing eleven sailors. They are the first American military casualties of the war.

October 31:
The destroyer USS Reuben James is torpedoed by Erich Topp's U-552 near Iceland, killing more than 100 United States Navy sailors. It is the first loss of an American "neutral warship."

November 13:
Germans start a new offensive against Moscow as the muddy ground freezes again. The aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal is torpedoed by the German submarine U-81 and sinks the following day.

November 19:
Australian light cruiser HMAS Sydney and the German auxiliary cruiser Kormoran sink each other off the coast of Western Australia. All 648 crewmen are lost on HMAS Sydney.

November 25:
U-331 sinks the British battleship HMS Barham while covering Mediterranean convoys.

November 26:
A Japanese attack fleet of 33 warships and auxiliary craft, including six aircraft carriers, sails from northern Japan for the Hawaiian Islands.

December 4:
Japanese naval and army forces continue to move toward Pearl Harbor and South-east Asia.

December 7: (December 8, Asian time zones) Japan launches an attack on Pearl Harbor, declares war on the United States and the United Kingdom and invades Thailand and British Malaya and launches aerial attacks against Guam, Hong Kong, the Philippines, Shanghai, Singapore and Wake Island. Canada declares war on Japan. Australia declares war on Japan. Adolf Hitler signs the German "Night and Fog decree" dictating the elimination of anti-Nazi resistance activities in Western Europe. The United States, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands and New Zealand declare war on Japan.

December 10:
British battlecruiser HMS Repulse is sunk in a Japanese air attack in the South China Sea.

December 14:
The British cruiser HMS Galatea is sunk by U-557 off Alexandria, beginning a series of naval defeats for the Allies.

December 15:
Italian "human torpedoes" damage two British battleships, HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Valiant in Alexandria harbour.

December 19:
Hitler becomes Supreme Commander-in-Chief of the German Army. HMS Neptune, leading Force K, strikes a minefield and sinks with one survivor and a loss of 766 crew.

December 20:
The battle for Wake Island continues with several Japanese ships sunk or damaged.