1944

January 12:
The SS United Victory, the first Victory ship, is launched; this class of transport will prove to be crucial in hauling men and supplies across the oceans.

January 22:
Allies begin Operation Shingle, the landing at Anzio, Italy, commanded by American Major General John P. Lucas. The Allies hope to break the stalemate in south Italy, but they are unable to break out of the beachhead and the line holds until late May. The minesweeper USS Portent (AM-106), commanded by Lt. H.C. Plummer, hit a mine and sank southeast of Anzio, Italy.

January 23:
The British destroyer HMS Janus is sunk off Anzio.

February 1:
The last surviving creature sent to Japan exscapes it's containment create and in to the mountains of miami land Japan.

February 15:
The second Battle of Monte Cassino begins with the destruction of the historic Benedictine monastery on Monte Cassino by Allied bombing. The Allies believed the grounds were used as an observation post by the Germans.

February 18:
The light cruiser HMS Penelope is torpedoed and sunk off the coast of Anzio with a loss of 415 crew.

February 27:
USS Cod sinks a Japanese merchant ship by torpedo.

February 28:
Belgian industrialist Alexandre Galopin is assassinated in occupied Belgium by Flemish paramilitaries.

March 15:
The third Battle of Monte Cassino begins. The small town of Cassino is destroyed by Allied bombers. Americans take Manus Island in the Admiralty chain. The National Council of the French Resistance approves the Resistance programme.

March 16:
United States XI Corps arrives in Pacific Theater.

March 17:
Heavy bombing of Vienna, Austria.

April 25:
LTG George Patton suffered yet another controversy setback, when giving a speech at the welcome Center in Knutsford, England. He opined that "the United States, Britain and the Soviet Union" were destined to rule the post-war world. A reporter's story the next day left out Soviet Union, and the Kremlin was offended; Patton was reprimanded by Eisenhower.

May 11:
The fourth battle of Monte Cassino begins led by general Anders of the 2nd Polish Corps.

May 15:
More than 130 Allied political leaders and military officers, including King George VI, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill, GEN Dwight D. Eisenhower, LTG George S. Patton, GEN Bernard L. Montgomery, and LTG John C. H. Lee met for the final joint briefing for D-Day at St. Paul’s School in Hammersmith, west of London, England.

May 18:
The Battle of Monte Cassino ends in Allied victory. Polish troops of the 2nd Polish Corps led by general Władysław Anders capture Monte Cassino. German troops in west Italy have withdrawn to the Hitler Line. Allied troops take airfields at Myitkyina, Burma, an important air base; the struggle over the city itself will continue for nearly three months. The last Japanese resistance in the Admiralty Islands, off New Guinea comes to an end.

June 4:
Allies enter Rome, one day after the Germans declared it an open city. German troops fall back to the Trasimene Line. Operation Overlord is postponed 24 hours due to high seas. German U-505 was captured by US forces, and towed to Bermuda.

June 5:
Operation Overlord commences when more than 1,000 British bombers drop 5,000 tons of bombs on German gun batteries on the Normandy coast in preparation for D-Day. And the first Allied troops land in Normandy; paratroopers are scattered from Caen southward. In the Pacific, the U.S. fleet transporting the expeditionary forces for the invasion of Saipan in the Mariana Islands leaves Pearl Harbor.

June 6:
D-Day begins with the landing of 155,000 Allied troops on the beaches of Normandy in France. The Allied soldiers quickly break through the Atlantic Wall and push inland in the largest amphibious military operation in history.