Chapter 11- Change In Atmosphere

Antony and Joanna left the following morning.

Unfortunately, (however as expected) Joanna had not taken the news well. In fact, she had not believed a word of it. That was what she had said, at least. Sweeney and Nellie couldn't read her at all, and Sweeney felt so tragically far away from his daughter. He wished he could break down the barriers set up between them, but they were too strong, and however he tried to break them down, they stayed rock solid.

He had learnt from his brief and final encounter with Lucy that she and Joanna were very similar and a different kind of people than what he was used to dealing with. He was used to Nellie, but she had too much compassion in her heart to compare it to his wife and daughter who seeked love but did not often find it in the right places, judging mainly by appearance and wealth, which Sweeney had had plenty of in the days when  his family owned the boating community. They found love through their head, not their heart. Sweeney had to find a way of letting his love penetrate Joanna's proverbial wall. 

It broke Sweeney's heart that she was so disgusted at his choices. She barely knew him, and was ready to judge him straight away. This made him realize, in turn, how fickle Antony was. He had got what he wanted, Joanna, and left without a backward glance, dodging around having to help Sweeney forge a relationship with his long lost daughter. 

How could a person betray another so swiftly? 

It hurt Nellie to know she didn't seem to be a perfect match for the beautifully broken angel she was in love with and would never leave.What had she done wrong to be judged by Joanna so harshly? She wasn't Lucy, granted, but Sweeney could not be expected to hold onto that forever. He had gone through too much for Lucy already. 

It was an altogether strange and shocking experience to witness this confused and mellow young girl turn so quickly to a cold hearted, selfish young woman. Deep down, she harboured the most caring of souls, like Sweeney, but couldn't unlock it yet.

After Antony and Joanna's departure, Sweeney, Nellie and Toby resumed the life they had once lived together. Things were a lot different now, but of course they had moved house and were now engaged.

Sweeney, after his previous mental outbursts of fulfilment, had begun to feel agitated and angry. Something about that sailor Antony wasn't quite right, and he didn't feel inclined to give him permission to marry his daughter.  

 One hot summer's day, he felt very confused about the way things were currently happening. He laid his head on the table in the roomy study to think and get away from the feelings buzzing round his mind like a swarm of angry wasps, stinging him and making him wince, in both mental and physical pain. It was as if they were having fights, giving him conflicting thoughts and drastically adding to the pain.

Moving away and creating a fresh start wasn't going to plan. At all.

Half an hour later, Toby walked into the study.

Sweeney was still thinking.

Nellie had started to pick up on Sweeney's buzzing feelings.

She had become restless and was worried. What if he wanted to end things? End everything? Start killing again?

She knew it was a risk to tell Joanna his identity so soon! It was too early, too much could go wrong. She didn't want to be selfish, but so much could go wrong for her, too, just because of the daughter who didn't want to see him ever again. This couldn't be the end!

Nellie began to cry. She had no reason to worry, not really, but she was a worrier, and when your heart finally feels content, you are going to be worried everything could come to an abrupt end. She loved Sweeney and she loved the house. She loved Toby and she would fight to keep life this way until the very end.Toby was too young to have gone through what he had so young, and he deserved to have a proper childhood, for the years remaining of it. 

In the midst of her crying, she felt an arm snake around hers, and a hand stroke her neglected hair. She looked up hopefully but it was only Toby. She immediately felt guilt at that disappointment. She just couldn't stop worrying!

Nellie needed to talk to Sweeney. Gathering her dress and bending down to plant a careful kiss on Toby's head, she stood up and ventured carefully into Sweeney's room where he had now been brooding for the last hour, tiptoeing,  just in case he was angry.

But he wasn't angry. He wasn't calm, contented, distressed or welcoming. He wasn't anything at all because he wasn't there.

Nellie gasped and Toby ran to her side.

He hadn't even left a note.

How could a person betray another so swiftly