Chapter 13 - All Good Things Must Come To An End

They gazed intently at each other, studying the other person's face. It wasn't the same anymore.

What had happened?

Sweeney closed his eyes.

'Am I not capable of love?'

Nellie looked down. She didn't feel anything.

'AM I NOT CAPABLE OF LOVE?'Sweeney repeated passionately, making Nellie jump suddenly.

Sweeney returned to his emotionless state.

'Am I, Sweeney Todd, not good enough? Must I be Benjamin Barker, the kindest man on Fleet Street, and not some psychopath of a barber to deserve your love? Is that what it is, Eleanor? Must I be perfect? For you, for Lucy, for Joanna. Am I not allowed to make mistakes? You never loved me, Eleanor; you loved Benjamin, before and now. I can see that. That's why I have to leave, to find someone, who will love me for me, not the man I once was. You must understand that. Goodbye'

He turned to leave, leaving much of his feelings unexplained.

Nellie just sat whilst he packed away his possessions. 

She didn't feel anything, which was strange, as she usually felt so much passion in her heart and a strong feeling for whatever Sweeney did.

Surely she couldn't have fallen out of love with him!

What was happening to her?

She slowly, begrudgingly lifted herself out of the chair.

She felt obliged to say goodbye to him in the very least.

Sweeney wasn't actually in a hurry to go, but he needed space to think. He would most likely to go back to Nellie, pleading for forgiveness. He knew she would give it to him straight away...wouldn't she?

She wasn't panicking and running upstairs to change his mind. She didn't say anything as he told her he didn't believe she loved him. He could see now how wrong that statement was. He knew she loved him for who he was, and she always had. In fact she loved Sweeney more than Benjamin. He knew that, so why did he have to break her more?

He was destroying her.

'Flaws make you who you are', he recalled her saying this to him with a stab of guilt as he muttered the words to himself, his voice cracking with pain. She never once bit back at him, whatever he said to her.

'Everything happens for a reason...I love you Sweeney Todd...if I hadn't have met you, I don't know where I'd be... thank you for finally realising what we can have together, I know letting go of Lucy is hard but you have me...'

Every kind word she had ever uttered to him was now spinning around in his mind, bouncing off one another. She was kind, the perfect partner, compassionate, considerate, beautiful...He loved her, but he had changed her.

He had to leave before he did more damage. Sweeney's heart felt as if it was being crumpled up by giant's fist into millions of pieces. He loved her, so, so much, and never dreamed he would have to do this to her. Why did everything he did turn bad?

It was if he had some kind of black force that made any love disintegrate at the touch of his fingertips. He could change it, so he had to run away from it.It felt right, somehow, that he should leave it all behind.

 When he picked up the familiar battered bag he hadn't touched since he returned to London, he knew he must do it. Create another new life, another new identity.

Why could he never stay in one place for an indefinite amount of time? He was fed up of chopping and changing. He could never just be a normal person.

When he dragged his feet down the stairs, walking heavily and slowly, he paused. Nellie was waiting for him by the door.

'I couldn't see you off without saying goodbye, it would have been rude'

She said this like speaking to him was a duty. The spark in her eyes and the usual bubbling waterfall of energy she possessed when she spoke had disappeared. The waterfall had stopped flowing.

They looked at each other in silence for a moment.

'Aren't I at least allowed to say farewell to Toby?'

'He's out.' Replied Nellie flatly, with dead eyes. 

There was something...something she hadn't had a chance to say because she had been scared. Scared that something would go wrong, scared that things would change.

There wasn't any worry about that now.

Sweeney looked...not remorseful, not happy to be gone, just ashamed. Ashamed of what? His own actions? Nellie's?  

As Sweeney composed himself and got ready to leave, Nellie blurted it out.

'You can't leave! I'm pregnant!'

The door opened, and closed again.

He was gone, Nellie's plan hadn't worked.

AUTHORS NOTE- I previously said that this story will have a sad ending...I've now decided everything will work out happy,just to let you know. Enjoy the rest of the story, I'll update ASAP. 

Finally, I'd like to shoutout  : - @bellovettrix

                                            - @closetwriter1999

                                             - @Sweeneyheaney24

for being AMAZING readers, thanks guys!xxx