Chapter 15

*Note – from here forwards all italicized font, unless said/written otherwise, represents phrases spoken in the Yautja language*

- One Day Prior –

The rumbling of the ship's thrusters sent jarring vibrations throughout his body. He pressed himself back into his seat, arms straight, hands gripping the control board tightly, eyes locked forward. His ship rocketed out of the launch portal and into the oblivion of space. Pressing a few buttons, he slowed the ship down to a lazy pace. He released a slow, shaky exhale, the adrenaline from the launch making his limbs tremble. Even though it was not his first time launching out of the mothership, the experience made him anxious every time.

"Dhi'ki-de, respond." A gruff, technology-ridden voice came through the communicator.

Dhi'ki-de pressed a button and spoke to the Yautja on the other side. "I read you, Kjuhte."

"As it is your first unmonitored hunt, keep your communicator online at all times. I will be checking on you periodically."

He sighed, knowing his father had asked Kjuhte to keep tabs on him. Even though he was hundreds of lightyears away from the city, the old man had found a way of intervening on his every move. As a freshly Blooded hunter, Dhi'ki-de found this extremely irking. At least he had been able to select his own hunting ground this time.

"Understood," he responded. There was a beep, indicating that the mothership had cut the connection.

He allowed himself some time before he began his hunt, pulling up the front view screen. Leaning back in his chair, Dhi'ki-de felt a wave of peace wash over him. Though there were many breathtaking planets in the universe, the planet of the Oomans was beautiful in its own right. Masses of swirling clouds blanketing the oceans and reaching across the larger landmasses. The pinpricks of light from the many Ooman cities looking like a small galaxy that fell from the sky and sprinkled itself over the landscape. Though they were primitive, Dhi'ki-de could appreciate their ability to create such a sight.

This planet would provide him with a leisurely hunting ground for this occasion; he was not being observed, so he was not under any pressure to perform in a certain way. He could take his time, clear his mind of all burdens, and enjoy the thrill that came with a hunt without someone breathing down his neck. It had been a long time since he felt this sense of freedom, and it was a welcomed relief.

With a grunt, Dhi'ki-de straightened himself and started the process of piloting the ship towards the Ooman world. He didn't want to delay any longer.

The ship broke through the atmosphere without problem and the Oomans were oblivious. They always were. Flying low over one of the oceans, seeing the light dance off of the waves, Dhi'ki-de decided that he wanted to hunt near where the ocean met the land. There were many vast oceans on his homeworld, some just a short flight away from the city, but the time for such ventures always evaded him. Now, he had all the time in the world, and he decided that he wanted to feel the sand beneath his feet and wind blowing the spray against his skin.

As he flew towards the island of his choice, one of the systems on his ship came to life. A harsh beeping attacked his ears and one of the monitors started flashing at him. He slowed the ship and shut off the irritating alarm, pulling the monitor up to full screen. It was directing him to a peninsula not far from where he was now, showing a small Ooman facility where the ship had picked up signs of...

"Kiande amedha," he clicked incredulously. "I did not know they were still on this world."

Based off of the ship's readings, he saw that the Oomans had found themselves a kiande amedha mother, and she was brooding. If the Oomans had her contained now, it would not be long before she broke out and infested the world with her spawn. Dhi'ki-de sighed, thinking. He was the only hunter on this planet, and if he signaled the mothership, he would have to relinquish his freedom. As a Blooded hunter, one small swarm seemed like an easy undertaking. He could handle a simple cleansing. The beach could wait.