3.6 - red dirt

once the gate opened, people dropped like flies

once the gate opened, people dropped like flies. the man who sat the night before was first, followed by the man who helped carry him, and then ivy.

even when she had dropped to her knees in the dirt, her legs trembled. her feet were bruised and bloody by now, and her muscles were extremely overworked.

ivy forced herself over onto her back, feeling the blazing sun down on her skin. she threw her arm over her eyes as she caught her breath. the long walk back entirely fatigued her body, not to mention the fact that she didn't sleep the night before.

"ivy," jake said, dropping on his knee next to her and placing his hand on her stomach "are you okay?"

she could only hum in response.

jake hooked his arms under her knees and around her back to pull her to sit. he wasn't even able to ask troy what happened before jeremiah walked over to him.

"get her out of here. she needs to lay down." he told him

jake stood, still holding her in his arms. he could hear one man say something about indians, but he got sidetracked from ivy's weak voice.

"jake," she said with her eyes closed "is he mad? is troy mad at me?"

he frowned and shook his head even though she couldn't see it. "don't worry about that now, ivy."

he could see her eyebrows furrow together just before she passed out.

troy sat on the floor next to ivy, who'd been laid down on their bed after she'd fallen asleep

troy sat on the floor next to ivy, who'd been laid down on their bed after she'd fallen asleep. he watched her eyes move behind her eyelids, her dark lashes contrasting against her cheeks. she breathed slowly and deeply, which actually managed to calm troy down.

jake told him what she asked, and after deciding what to do about walker - which was practically nothing - jake reminded him how much ivy doted on him.

"you know what she asked me?" jake said "she asked me if you were angry with her." he shook his head "she was seconds away from passing out and she was worried if you were mad at her."