Part 2

Thalia waited for her at the meal tent. "You look tired," she said by way of greeting. As usual, she looked imposing in her Green Day T-shirt and standard-issue gray jacket, black pants, and combat boots. A silver circlet gleamed on her spiky black hair, the mark of Artemis's chosen lieutenant.

"Bad dreams," Reyna replied shortly.

In the back of her mind, she heard the voices of dead legacies and demigods screaming in fear and rage. She hadn't been able to save them during the Battle of New Rome or Nero's two crippling attacks on Camp Jupiter. That was part of why she had resigned from praetorship. She didn't think she could keep rebuilding her life and watch as someone tore it down again. She had been exhausted, overwhelmed. Here, in the Hunters of Artemis, she worked with everyone else. The mantle of leadership was one weight lifted off her shoulders. She didn't need another.

"Not the usual demigod kind, I take it."

Reyna looked at her. "How did you know?"

"I have them too."

"How do you deal with it?"

Thalia's electric blue eyes were steely diamonds. "I funnel it into motivation. I want to protect others from my nightmares. And when I fight, the memories don't control me; I control them."

Reyna opened her mouth to speak, but a scout jogged up to them.

"Lieutenant," she said, bowing her head. "Lady Artemis wishes you to gather the hunting groups and take up the positions soon, if not now."

"Understood."

The scout scurried off.

"What are we hunting today?" Reyna asked.

"The Teumessian Fox."

Reyna nodded. This would be her first truly dangerous mission for the Hunters. "Cecelia said you wanted me in your group?"

"Yes. You have experience leading and fighting." She gave Reyna a small smile as she started into the forest. "And think about what I said."