Part 3

Thalia's group crept forward, ducking behind trees and shrubbery. The Hunters were careful to step only when the crunching of the leaves was covered by the wind. The Hunters of Artemis made no more noise than squirrels as they walked. As Reyna crouched at the edge of the clearing, the wind suddenly changed. It now carried their scent to their prey. Seconds later, it hissed loudly and erupted from the shrubbery.

The Teumessian Fox was a beautiful and dangerous animal. It stood perhaps six feet tall, with amber and rust-colored patches of fur and unblinking black eyes. Its pearl-tinted claws ripped up clods of grass as it bounded toward them.

Reyna's breathing slowed as she vaulted over the bush and landed in a crouch in the dewy grass. She aimed and loosed two arrows in quick succession, and rolled to avoid a swipe of its claws. The fox yowled, pawing at the new projectiles sprouting from its snout.

Three more groups of Hunters emerged from the trees and struck. Their arrows hit the chest, but barely punctured the creature's fur. The few wounds inflicted quickly knitted back together. The fox whirled from foe to foe, dropping the Hunters almost as quickly as they could rise. Reyna crept around the fox, far enough away to avoid injury, but close enough to seek openings.

Thalia tapped the silver charm bracelet on her wrist and it expanded into a shield emblazoned with the likeness of Medusa, a close replica of Athena's Aegis. The fox retreated ever so slightly, hissing. Reyna drew her sword and ran up behind it. She drove it into the beast's stomach but its fur repelled the blow. She started to fall back, but the fox swung around. Its tail swiftly connected with her temple.

With a great effort, Reyna dropped and rolled away again. Her head spun, and for a moment, she was back in her childhood villa in Puerto Rico. This time, though, she was Hylla, collapsing as a chair collided with her head. Dimly she saw her younger self scream and tear an Imperial gold saber from a shelf, racing at their ghostly father.

Reyna shook her head, snapping out of the memory. She ripped a canteen of nectar from her belt and drank the godly liquid. It tasted of piragua, trickling down her throat in a refreshing stream. She missed it from her childhood home. It had been a rare treat in the days before their father turned into a mania.

That thought filled her with resolve and rage. Her vision cleared and the only thing she saw was the monster that had ruined and taken so many lives. The tattoo on her arm grew painfully hot as it shared her power. Her bow grew heavier in her hands, but the other Hunters doubled their assaults. She pushed on past fatigue and ran within striking distance of the creature.

She could see the fox tiring. Its swings were less aggressive and its eyes were heavy-lidded with exhaustion, yet its snarl clearly meant I will kill all of you rather than be killed by you.

Reyna somersaulted under the creature's paws, unsheathing her sword and slashing under its belly, opening deep wounds that didn't have time to close.

"Hold!" a feminine voice said, somehow puncturing the battle noise.