~Eight~

Tick Tock goes the clock...
Nothing represents the early morning better than the ticking of a clock and peaceful silence.
Until a certain hour shows up and ruins the peace.
Beep
Beep
Beep
Beep
Beep
BEEP
A certain hybrid girl slams her fist on her alarm clock. Needing a deserved break, she was not in the mood to be woken.
The girl slowly drifted back to sleep before her ringtone opened her eyes...and frustration.
She pulls the device off its charger before seeing who was calling. She saw the cat headband and immediately answered.
Desti slowly yawned and sat up, fresh in her pajamas "Hey, champ, what do ya need?"
The receiver noticed the exhausted voice "oh, did I wake you up? I'm sorry I can wait a bit!" She insists
"No, Eva, it's alright. But still, is something up?" Desti asks.
Eva sighs "I managed to sneak out to the Mushroom Kingdom. I'm at a nearby park I think, but...I kind of need someone.."
"Oh, sure, of course" Desti stands up and quickly pauses chatting to get dressed. "Though, just curious, why couldn't you ask the others?"
"It's a bit...too personal...you know?" Eva shrugs.
"I understand. I'll see you there in a bit, ok?" Desti smiles.
"Thank you...don't rush yourself, though.." Eva reminds her.
"I wont, don't you worry." Desti assures, hanging up.
She puts her phone back on her desk, walking out of her room.
"Good morning sweetie!" One of her mothers greets her, waving her robotic hand at her daughter.
"Good morning mom" Desti looks for her shoes.
"What's the rush?" Tari asks her daughter, noticing her search.
"Eva isn't feeling well. Not... physically, more mentally..." Desti saw her mother's confusion, and sighs "she has deep shit to talk about."
"Ah, ok.." Tari finally understands. "Be safe, and try to be quiet on your way out. Your other mother is trying to sleep the training impacts away."
"Will do! Bye mom!" Desti quickly put on her sneakers and crept out the front door, then making her way to the sidewalk.

After some walking, she makes it to the park, looking around for Eva. She couldn't see her anywhere. Desti walked farther into the park, until she heard something.
"Pssst...Desti, over here.."
Desti walked towards a small playground, and crouched behind a slide.
"Eva, hey!" Desti slowly sat down and put an arm around her friend. "What's been bugging ya so badly?"

"Well...a lot of things. My parents still aren't... comfortable with us being close...they still see you as...the half breed. Your not Desti to them, your...the hybrid...and that hurts to hear...and...I just want to be able to be alongside you in peace..." Eva looks down. "And...if we lose this Turf War or Splatfest...they'll only hate you more and...they might even ban me from seeing you.."
"Oh...that sounds awful..." Desti slowly hugs Eva, petting her head. "It's ok to be upset about that...if my parents forced me away from you I'd be upset too..."
They both went silent for a moment.
"I'm...worried about the Splatfest too. And the Turf War...but...we can do this...both of us will destroy them on the Turf...or at least...we'll try."
Eva smiles and leans her head on Desti's shoulder.
"Im sure it'll be easy...we have each other...we can take them down...together." Desti leans closer to Eva.
"Your right...it's us and the team against the world, after all...but...how can we take on the world if we're just...a couple of friends trying to normalize our weirdness." Eva asks.
"We don't have to be friends, silly..." Desti chuckles.
"...w-what? How?" Eva looked confused.
"Here...let me show you what I mean.." Desti smiles gently before leaning closer to her friend and kissing her.
Eva's eyes widened in pure surprise.
Desti slowly pulls away, holding Eva's hand. "We can be girlfriends..."
Eva stared into nothingness, trying to comprehend what just happened. She slowly developed a smile before coming back to reality. "Your...your right...we can be...together"
Desti chuckles at her gradual return to real life.
"Can...we...do that again?" Eva asks, her cheeks going red.
"Of course, cutie." Desti kisses her again for a few moments, Eva much more into it this time.
They slowly pull away from each other after those few moments.
"....thank you Desti..." Eva lunges at Desti and hugs her tightly. "Nothing on this Earth could've made me happier.."
"It's no problem, Eva. I know what makes you happy...and I found something that would make us both happy." Desti winks.
"I...should probably go back home before my parents notice I'm gone. Again...thank you...for everything, really...I..." Eva pauses, smiling widely. She has wanted to say this for a while now. "I love you...Desti"
"I love you too, Eva...now go on, before they start questioning if we've been playing smoochies." Desti and Eva both laugh before going their separate ways.

Desti gets back home, walking back inside. She takes off her shoes by the door, walking around in her socks.
"Welcome back sweetheart, that wasn't long of a trip.." Tari notes, chuckling to herself.
"Oh it wasn't? It felt like forever...in the best way possible." Desti smiles.
Tari raised her eyebrows. "Did something special happen?"
Desti leans closer to her mother "I am gonna destroy that other team harder than before"
"Harder than before today? How did you get stronger so suddenly?" Tari asks.
Desti smiles widely, her cheeks going red. "I have a girlfriend.."
Tari stares in silence for a moment before squealing. "It's Eva isn't it?"
Desti nods.
Tari squeals louder, rushing into the bedroom, deeming it worthy news to wake Meggy for.

--------------------------------------

Eva slowly walks in her front door, trying to avoid confrontation from her parents.
"Hey sweetie...where have you been?"
The voice made her spine shiver.
"Uh...I went to the park just to...you know...get my energy out..." Eva smiles, trying to hide what happened.
"Without telling us? You know that's dangerous, and against the rules...you could've been kidnapped!" Her mother overplays the situation.
"Relax mom, I told Desti to come...to uh...you know...defend me in case of...creeps?" Eva smiles nervously.
"Oh your father could've done a better job at protecting you than that human.." her mother remarks.
"Mom...let's not bring up her species for once...please?" Eva asks.
The mother rolls her eyes. "Alright...but still, next time, tell us."
"I got it.." Eva slowly walks back upstairs.

-------------------------------
Credits

Writer, Creator, and main character designer: YuriHaven / GeekyTheArtist

Co-Creator, character aspect creator, and character designer for Eva and Alex: BenjiTheHedgeling

Thank you for reading!