Chapter 2

The whole class held their breath, was Mary really going to go and challenge someone from such a powerful family right off the bat?

Murmurs began to fill the room heavy with anticipation.

"That's Saotome-san for you, never afraid to take on anyone."

"Since Mibuomi-san is from such a distinguished family, she must have some mad gambling skills, right?"

"Yeah, that makes sense! Kind of curious to see how this is going to play out."

You were slightly shaking and could feel the few beads of cold sweat running down your face, "Am I really going to be doing this? I am so going to make a fool out of myself and tarnish the Mibuomi name in one fell swoop. Just great."

Just when you were going to respond, you were interrupted by another voice.

"Saotome-san!" Everyone turned their heads to see a male classmate approaching Mary. He had dark brown hair and eyes, and looked to be shaking as much as you were. After a slight pause, he continued, stuttering here and there, "I... I don't think Mibuomi-san wants to gamble anyone yet. We haven't even taken her to look around the academy grounds!"

The blonde only scoffed as she pulled the tag that was dangling around her classmate's neck, bringing his face closer to hers all the while giving him a threatening look.

"Suzui Ryota... Or more like, Pochi," she sternly said, emphasizing on the nickname used to mock the weak in this academy. "Your opinion in this doesn't matter. I don't listen to you, you listen to me, got it? Last time I remember, you've got a debt to pay."

The boy named Suzui looked at you and you both locked gazes for a moment. He could tell you were caught off-guard and were uncomfortable about suddenly getting into a gamble. You only smiled softly at him, as if to thank him for the sentiment of his actions, which were ultimately futile anyway. He wanted to help you; he didn't want you to end up like him – a housepet.

Mary let him go, "Now go back to where you came from and don't interrupt us any further, housepet."

But what can he do? He had no choice but to follow orders. In this academy, the moment you receive the label of housepet, you end up no longer being human, you end up less than that -- you just end up as a play thing.

"So, what do you say, Mibuomi-san?" Mary asked the new girl again, now regaining her cheerful and innocent facade. "Such a fitting way to celebrate your admission to this prestigious academy, is it not?"

You bit your quivering lip and stood up nervously. You didn't like the thought of getting into a gamble, but you hated going down without a fight even more. Your gaze was set downwards, still too nervous to look anyone in the eye in this situation.

"You've got guts, just like your brother," Mary spoke before smirking. "I like that."

"My brother?"  You thought. "Has she met him before?"

"How do you know—"

"Hey, why is the student council here!?" a student hissed.

Mary looked over to their classroom's door, and sure enough, there she saw the president's ever-loyal right hand, Igarashi Sayaka, the student council's secretary. Her empty looking eyes scanned the vicinity before stepping inside, "Is Mibuomi (Y/N) still here?"

Upon hearing your name, you slowly raised your right arm, "I'm here."

Sayaka nodded and slowly made her way to the girl. She bowed slightly as a sign of respect, to which you hesitantly bowed slightly in response, "The president is requesting your presence."