Chapter 8

A/N: Random author side note, but I have now made myself a head canon in which Mary calls the reader "Bakabomi" (in place of Mibuomi) because why not lmao but I'll just write it in the story as Idiot Bomi for uniformity. 

Also, thank you for you guys' input on the last chapter. Longer chapters on the way now ^^ 

~~~

"Ouch!" You hissed as you felt Mary's grip on you tighten. "Why'd you have to yank my hand all of a sudden? Actually, why are you even this ticked off in the first place? You just won!"

"No reason in particular, you... you Idiot Bomi!"

"Idiot... Bomi?"

The hallways were silent during this time of the day. Students would either go straight home or, as expected, visit gambling dens or just huddle around to take part in small or big gambles.

Mary was one of those people who decided to gamble, but instead of the usual self-gratification, it was all to revoke herself of her housepet predicament.

Currently she was dragging you by the wrist to god knows where as you tailed behind her, clumsily trying to match her oddly quick pace of walking.

Now that you think about it, everything that had happened in the last few minutes was a blur. All you could really remember after Mary won was how Momobami Kirari, this school's student council president showered you with physical affection (again), and how Mary forcefully pulled you out of the sly woman's grasp and out of the gambling den.

You shrugged as you looked forward and watched Mary's figure impatiently stomping towards some location you didn't know yet, her twin tails and the ribbons tying it waving back and forth with every step the both of you took.

With a slight smile, you let go of a long held in sigh of relief as it finally sunk into your conscience how prideful Saotome Mary was no longer a housepet. This meant no more discrimination, ostracization, and dirty desks for your blonde companion.

With your thoughts finally sorted into place, you quickened your pace to catch up with Mary and walk beside her. Even so, she refused to look at you, which you found strange.

You noticed her cheeks were a bit flushed, and her hair slightly disheveled. You even noticed her to be pouting subtly. Not putting much thought, you simply associated all those with successfully escaping that gambling den by a ridiculously narrow margin.

A frustrated huff escaped her lips. Mary couldn't understand it -- she couldn't understand you. Once again you had contradicted her perception of the "usual Mibuomi".

She was certain if you were anything like your brother, you wouldn't have put any effort in dissecting how that Yuriko was cheating, but instead you ended up saving her.

"Argh, damn it," she thought. "I feel indebted to her again."

The blonde heard your quickening footsteps and noticed your presence beside her, still choosing to look straight ahead.

She didn't want to look at you at the moment, not when you managed to stir up odd feelings in her chest when she saw the amount of attention Kirari was giving you.

Anyone could tell the longing in that woman's eyes as she stroked your hair earlier. Kirari was truly fascinated with you. The president's words echoed in her mind.

"But once you decide to put her in danger's way, just know you'll be making an enemy out of me as well." 

And Mary had to admit, it didn't sit quite right with her.