Chapter 4

"So... why and how is my brother a dick, exactly?" you awkwardly chuckled, still diligently wiping your classmate's desk.

"Well, first off..." Mary started, her eyes still locked on the same desk as she also continued wiping. 

Incidentally, the desk the both of you were cleaning belonged to no other than the girl you were talking to, Saotome Mary -- a talented gambler who had just become a housepet, apparently.

How she became a housepet all of a sudden? You had no idea. 

"Ah... so there's a whole lot more...?"  you thought as you glanced at your classmate.

"Your brother was the leader of this group here before called Full-Bloom, did you know that?" she finally looked at you and asked, to which you slowly shook your head in slight disbelief, not really knowing how to react. The blonde sighed a bit before continuing, "It was this group of students dedicated to abolishing the housepet system the current president reinforced when she got her position."

Earlier's events in the student council room flashed in your mind, eliciting a light blush from your face, "The president sure was... different from what I had initially imagined." You thought bashfully. 

Failing to notice your blushing state, Mary continued to talk, "He generally comes off as this kind, easy to approach, and sociable kind of guy to everyone, even the housepets."

"Isn't that a good thing...?" you interjected, hoping to defend your sibling at least a little bit.

Mary bitterly laughed, "Let me finish, Mibuomi. Sure, your brother put up that face, but  in reality, he was a manipulative douche bag who acts like that to get people on his side for his own benefit."

You stayed silent, urging her to continue.

"Your brother just liked using people to advance his ambitions. While his goal was somewhat understandable, his methods were just wrong, which didn't sit right with me. He even tried to recruit me as a councilor for his stupid cult, I refused of course." She paused, "You know someone by the name of Miharutaki Sakura?" 

Your eyes immediately lit up and your lips curved into a smile, "Yes, she's my brother's fiancee. She treats me like a real sister, and I admire her a lot! I've only seen her a few times in person, but she's really kind and pretty."

Mary was slightly taken aback by the genuineness in the way you spoke, making her stare at you for a few moments. After all, that kind of genuineness is a rare find in this school built on deceit and the battle for power. 

And most of all, she wasn't expecting that genuineness from a Mibuomi of all people.

"This could be an act, like what her brother used to do, right?" She desperately thought, trying to push the notion of your sudden integrity off her conscience.

She had no idea if it was the way you sounded, or if it was the way the sun's rays were illuminating your features as you happily answered her question, but at this moment, the perfect word to describe you was 'honest'.

You sounded and looked extremely honest at the moment.

And Mary knew she liked honesty, she found it comforting.

"Saotome-san? Are you alright?"

So much so, that her hand had stopped moving momentarily.

Snapping out of her stupor and looking down at her desk to clean again in a slight panic, she laughed it off as if she wasn't staring at you just now, "Well!" She raised her voice, trying to sound confident, "When she lost against me in a gamble, your brother just straight out kicked her out of his cult, saying she wasn't necessary anymore because she lost."