Chapter 6

Someone cleared their throat loudly. Rey scrunched her eyes up and whined. She wasn't ready to leave her dream behind yet. Ben was being so lovely to her, whispering sweet nothings in her ear, and slowly snaking his way down her body...

Another louder throat noise, Rey cracked an eye open. Ben was standing over the bed staring down at her. Not snaking down her naked body.

Disappointing.

'Do we need to have a talk about boundaries?' she yawned.

'I do apologise for waking you as you sleep soundly in my bed Princess, but it appears our dog is here...' Ben said with a frown, wiping Oreo crumbs off the bed spread.

Rey sat up suddenly with a delighted look on her face.

'Chewie? Chewie is here! Where?' her eyes darted around the room.

'In the living room.'

Rey jumped out of bed and leapt into the living room. There was Chewie padding around the living room, smelling all the furniture.

'Chewie!' Rey shouted, running towards him. The dog spotted her and its tail went into overdrive. He bounded over to her and started licking every inch of her face. Rey giggled relentlessly.

A pretty girl stood by the front door. She smiled down at Rey.

'I know it's Sunday and not technically a work day but the paperwork came through and I just had to bring him to you,' Rose said with a smile.

Rey had met Rose at an animal adoption event. She had fallen in love with Chewie right away. She had always wanted a dog but never had the space, she figured now that she had a house with a huge garden, she could finally indulge herself.

'Thank you so much, Rose.'

The pretty young girl beamed back at her.

'Your husband seemed somewhat confused...'

'Oh, Chewie was a surprise for him, don't worry, once he gets over the initial shock he'll be thrilled.'

Rose smiled.

'I'd better be going, are we still on for lunch next week?'

'Definitely,' Rey replied enthusiastically.

Rose waved cheerfully as she left. Ben appeared in the living room.

'Could we talk about the fact that we apparently have a dog now?' he drawled.

'We can,' Rey replied as she rubbed noses with Chewie.

'Okay, can we talk about the fact that I don't want a fucking dog?'

'Come on Ben, you're barely here! It's completely believable that I would get a pet to keep me company, and make me feel more secure.'

Ben pinched the bridge of his nose.

'I shouldn't have to say this to you of all people but I feel like I need to remind you that this fucking marriage is only temporary.'

'Well then you don't have to put up with Chewie for long then do you?'

Ben sighed.

'What kind of dog is he anyway?'

Rey smiled to herself. She had won.

'He's a chocolate goldendoodle!'

Ben looked at her with disdain.

'What the fuck is that?'

Rey rolled her eyes.

'It's a dog obviously.'

'Sounds like a snack food.'