Chapter 9: Tick Tock

Time is ticking, and time is not on my side right now.

It's been 4 days in camp, 4 days where I spent as much time as possible with Luke and Silena and Beckendorf-- everyone who died in my original timeline.

Today, Chiron announced that we would be playing capture the flag after lunch.

I mean, come on! Last time it took a solid 3 weeks for Chiron to say that we were playing capture the flag. Why couldn't I have a bit more time?! Why did it have to be now?!?!

It wasn't fair, but when has my life ever been fair?

Never.

No need to be a smart-ass.

Shut up.

Why am I talking to myself anyway?

I don't know.

Moving on, I twisted my black ring, kissing my free time goodbye and ignoring the questioning looks that were thrown my way upon seeing black armor and a sword appear out of thin air and attach to me.

"Where'd you get a magical object like that," Annabeth questioned, eyeing my ring with interest.

Still as sharp as ever, I see.

Damn it.

I'd have to be extra cautious around her.

"I've always had the ring," I say, not even feeling guilty at the lie.

"I don't think you and Theo have the same godly parent," Annabeth mused after a moment of silence, her eyes glued on me to gauge my reaction, her chin tilted up, as if she were challenging me to say that she was wrong.

"Okay," I replied shortly, forcefully ending the conversation with the lack of questions or statements.

It was still painful to see Annabeth and know that she wasn't my girlfriend. Annabeth remembered nothing involving us, and if she claimed that she did, she was probably off her rockers.

I raised an eyebrow as I saw Theo pick up two whips, cracking them against the floor before shrugging and putting them back, picking up a set of daggers and nodding at his choice. Whips weren't a traditional Greek weapon in battle, so why were they on the weapons table in the first place?

In our game of capture the flag, there were two tables, one with weapons on it and another with armor. After all, how many demigods actually had armor and weapons of their own?

"Why whips?" I call out to Theo, my own sword hanging loosely in my hand.

"I was curious," Theo said, his eyes skimming along my armor. Unlike Annabeth, Theo didn't ask about it, which made me wonder what he was thinking.

The campers were split into two. Hermes, Aphrodite, Hephaestus, and Apollo cabin as team blue and Ares, Dionysus, Demeter, and Athena cabin as team red.

Athena and Ares together is almost instant defeat to the opposing team, and everyone in team blue was silken and down trodden.

"Hey!" Luke called out, motioning for all of us to huddle up. As soon as we were all squished together in a circle that was more like an oval, Luke started to give his pep talk.

"We all know what Athena and Ares kids are capable of when they're together, so that means we have to work twice as hard. We have the numbers, so we can use that to our advantage. Hephaestus cabin, you guys are in charge of setting up booby traps-- and make sure that they're spread out and hidden. Apollo cabin, split into two groups; group one should be bigger than group two. Group one will form a rough line around our territory and will shoot from the ground. Group two, you will be closer to the flag and in the trees. Shoot at anyone who isn't our team. Hermes cabin, spread out and help the Hepheastus kids. After that, you will be the soldiers with them. Make sure that you don't group too much around the flag- that'll make it obvious where the flag is. Aphrodite kids, the few of you that charmspeak, use it to turn some red players against their team. Those that don't charmspeak, I'm sure that the Hepheastus kids can give you smoke bombs to throw at the red team. Got it?"

When everyone gave Luke a nod, Luke called for break and everyone scrambled to do their assigned jobs, now filled with excitement.

I can now see why Kronos wanted Luke as the General and recruiter of the army.

"You're a good leader," I tell Luke, trying to not let thoughts of Kronos drag my mood down.

Luke shot me a smirk. "Thanks. Where will you be stationed?"

I shrugged. "You said people had to cross the stream to win the game, right?"

When Luke nodded, I added, "Then I'll be at the stream with Theo."

Luke nodded again, his eyes flashing with-- disappointment? Luke gave me a short good luck before turning and walking away, his posture a bit stiff.

What got into him?

You sure are oblivious.

Shut up!

You do realize that you're telling yourself to be quiet?

. . . Go away.

I can't.

Whatever.

You do know that people have gone to mental hospitals because of hearing voices in their heads?

Are you trying to imply something?

No, nothing at all.

Uh-huh, whatever I say.

Okay.