topper | kiss me like your ex is in the room

It was the annual Snowflake Ball.
It was an event that the Kooks put on every year, similar to Midsummers, but obviously in winter.

My family lived next to the Cameron's and my mom was especially close with them, but my dad kept his distance, after an argument him and Ward Cameron had gotten into, many years ago. I knew them and had no issues with them at all, but I definitely wasn't close to them. Sarah Cameron used to go to the same school as me so I knew her slightly more than the others.

I sat in my room and put on my outfit.

I continued getting ready, putting my makeup on, and spraying myself with perfume. I enjoyed this event a lot. Unlike Midsummers, it was all in a large ballroom. It had drinks, music was playing, and it was an all-round happy event. Winter was also so pretty, and despite the outside never experiencing cold weather, as soon as you stepped foot into that ballroom, it felt like you were stepping into a wonderland.

************

Me and my family arrived at the venue, and walked in. I was so excited to start the dancing, I didn't bother saying hello to anyone that I passed on my way in. I knew my mom would bring that up with me later on, but the only thing I could think about at that moment was starting the celebrations.

I looked around and was greeted by an almost completely white room, with sparkling decorations hanging wherever it possibly could, and blue lights shining all across the floor. There was a huge table filled with lots of food and drinks, and little tables everywhere where individual groups could sit down.

I walked over to the drinks table and picked up some fancy drink that seemed to be a popular choice due to the rate it was going down at.

"Hey Y/n, I haven't seen you for ages."
I heard a voice behind me, and quickly turned around. It was Rafe Cameron, along with his sister Sarah.

"Oh hey guys, how are you?" I asked, making small talk as best I could.

"We're okay," Sarah said. "Do you wanna go round to the photo area?"

"Aw yeah sure, I didn't even know they had that this year!" I exclaimed, following the two of them round the back of the building, to a beautiful photography area, with decorations and a professional photographer.

At these events, it didn't matter how close you were or weren't with anyone.
Me, Rafe and Sarah all took photos together, looking absolutely crazy, almost like we'd been close friends our entire lives.
After lots of laughing and joking around, I decided to leave and go and do some dancing. As I was looking at my phone to see all of the selfies we had taken outside of the booth, I accidentally walked into someone. They had spilt their drink over me but luckily it wasn't anything coloured or that would stain. The only issue was that my perfume had been replaced by the smell of alcohol.
I looked up to see who it was, and there stood Topper Thornton. Sarah's ex boyfriend. They had broken up a fairly long time ago, as she had gone and found another guy without telling him and basically cheating. I heard it was really upsetting how he found out though.

"I'm so sorry, I'll help you clean it up." he said, gesturing for me to follow him to the back.
He lead us to this small laundry room which had a sink, towels, and some other items that could help get the stain and smell out of my dress.

He grabbed a towel and ran it under the water, and took some baking soda and started to apply it onto where he had spilt the drink.

"Baking soda?" I asked.

"I had an issue like this at another party, and someone told me that baking soda works, so I tried it and the stain was all gone, I'm just hoping it'll work with this material." he explained.

"I'm sorry, I should've been looking where I was going." I apologised.

"It's absolutely fine, it was mostly my fault because I spilt something on you anyway. I love your dress by the way." he said, smiling while examining my outfit.

"Thank you." I smiled back.

After the stain had gotten out we both desperately needed to have a drink. We sneaked back inside and grabbed a wine bottle and ran outside again. We had sat on some chairs that weren't a part of the event, but were just usually there. They tried to keep all of the celebrations inside, so there weren't many decorations, but we still managed to make our own fun.
We were both quite drunk at this point, and we tried to keep our composure as we stumbled back into the ballroom. Then, my mom came over. Fantastic.

"Aw, look at you two! You both look so great tonight!" she praised.

Trying not to slur as much as possible, we both thanked her and Topper left to go wait for me for when me and my mom had stopped talking.

"Y/n. Where's Rafe? You should be going with him. Me and the Cameron's were talking, and we came up with the idea that you could date Rafe! I think it would be really good for you, and I've met him, he's a really sweet boy!" she said.

"Rafe? No. He seems alright but I'm pretty sure he's older than me, and I don't really know him that well." I replied.

"I think you should give him a chance darling, look I'll go find him for you-" she began, but I cut her off.

"No mom I'll find him don't worry." I said, knowing fully well that I was not going to do that.

She smiled and nodded, and walked away to go and socialise with some more people. I spotted Topper waiting for me and went over to him.

"Y/n you're super duper prettyy." he said, staring right into my eyes. He was very clearly drunk, but after that conversation with my mom, nothing he could say could make me feel more awkward.

"Why thank you Topper." I responded, doing a curtesy as I span around.
He stopped me and grabbed my shoulders, which was probably for the best, because drinking lots of alcohol and then spinning in circles was not the smartest mix.
We stared into each other's eyes and it felt like we were really connected. I started to lean in to kiss him, but he hesitated.

"Is everything okay?" I asked, lowkey embarrassed about jumping onto him like that.

"Yeah it's just... Sarah's over there." he murmured.

"Sarah? I thought you guys broke up?!" I said, confused.

"We did but it's still weird having her there. I don't know, I wish I could get over her." he sighed.

"Topper look at me." I began, "You remember what she did to you right? You remember how angry you were? You remember how jealous it made you?"

"Yeah..?" he answered.

"Kiss me. Make her look at you. Make her angry. Make her feel as jealous as you did when you saw her with that Pogue." I suggested. It may not have seemed like the best idea, but that's the kinda thing us Kooks did.

We both paused for a second, and all of a sudden his lips came crashing down onto mine, unexpectedly. It was like no one else was in the room, and he had definitely taken my word of advice. We parted, and he smiled at me.

"Why have we not done that before?" he asked.

"Guess all it took was a little convincing." I winked.

Looking around the room, most people were turned away, but my mom, Sarah and Rafe were all staring at us. Both Sarah and my mom were absolutely fuming, whereas Rafe just seemed confused.

Me and Topper held hands and ran out of the ballroom with no turning back. We didn't need anyone else's opinions, we had each other.

____________________
AUTHORS NOTE

i hope you all enjoyed this imagine!

i didn't think i'd have many ideas for topper, but i heard the song 'X - Jonas Brothers" (the video linked at the top) and it gave me this idea :)

thank you for reading <3

____________________