Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

[04.2] The Planted Blade

❖ ❖ ❖

The last peals of the evening bells had just been rung when Isla found Haana by the foot of her bed, the salamander's light pulsing over her. An unhappy face, Isla thought, and shuffled aside to allow Haana a seat beside her. 'Can you not sleep?'

'It is much too early.'

Isla agreed, but said nothing of it. Outside, the gaslights had been lit, and for Noi, that meant it was late enough. The handmaid had retreated immediately after dinner – to burn a fresh batch of rue, if the fragrance drifting from her bedchamber was anything to go by. Even Whitebill had grown testy after weeks exposed to the scent. The erne squawked from its perch on the table, and despite Aldir's warning, Isla knelt upon her bed and pushed her window open.

She tossed a blanket over Haana's shivering form. 'Would you like to play a card game?'

'I have played enough of those.'

'Knucklebones?'

'It's too dark to see the ball.'

'No games then.' Isla sighed and wrapped her own blanket up to her chin. 'All right. How about I read you both a story?'

'Both?'

'This little one loves stories.' Isla scratched the salamander softly under its chin. 'And let's not forget Whitebill.'

Haana gave a snort of annoyance, but it was not long before she returned beside Isla with a book. Aldir's gift. I thought she didn't like it.

Isla opened the book over her folded knees, breathing in the smell of fresh paper. She had only ever read aloud to Tam Mai, and that had been so long ago, she had forgotten how to read to an audience. Haana traced the words on the page as Isla read, stopping with a start when the salamander dropped from Isla's shoulder to sniff at the paper.

'"One by one the deities ascended, each having left a blessing amongst their favoured children,"' continued Isla, nudging the daemon away with a finger. '"Amongst the last to remain was Saegyr, patron deity of wisdom. He saw the perils the –"'

'Strategy.' Haana interrupted.

'What was that?'

'He is the patron deity of strategy.'

'Saegyr is the patron deity of many things. Strategy, reason ... the Eling values wisdom above all his virtues, and so here, that is what he is most known for.'

'How can wisdom be more highly regarded than strategy?'

'I would argue both are of equal importance. But for the sake of convenience ...'

'Very well. Continue.'

'"Saegyr saw the perils the divine Grace would bring, and so he summoned his favoured, Aramennos the Just, and to him, too, he passed on his blessing."'

They regarded the accompanying image: a silhouette of golden eyes and blinding light, and kneeling before it a beatific man, eyes wide and face lifted to the deity.

Isla turned the page. '"Having bestowed his Grace, the Wise Father threw up his arms and a great light spread across the sky, into the earth, and under the seas. For three days the world was blinded, and when the light diminished, he said to Aramennos: Rise now with the Grace of Crowns upon thee."'

The illustration depicted a changed man, of broader shoulders and sterner face. A circlet of light glimmered around his brow. Isla peeked at Haana, who showed no signs of dozing.

'"The Wise Father opened his Knowing Eye, and he Saw across the corners of the earth, the names and faces of all else who had been Graced. There he made a promise to Aramennos, that all their Grace shall be entailed, from father –"'