nine

“Samantha and I are going for a drink on the square,” Brenda said to the group as they finished off their paintings. “Would any of you like to join us?” Jennie looked up from her still-life and put her paintbrush back into her jar.

“Sure. That would be nice.” She smiled and turned to Graham, Cherie and Marie-Louise.

“Yeah, why not?” Graham said. “Just one though. I need to drive back to Cannes.” Marie-Louise shook her head.

“Maybe another time for me. I have some work to do in the gallery. Cherie is going to help me, I’ve taken her on as an apprentice.” She winked at Cherie, who had just finished the most beautiful looking painting of the pond. The ripples on the water surface were exquisite, and she had gracefully accepted the compliments they had given her.

“Okay, just us English speaking folks then,” Brenda said cheerfully. “I can’t wait to have a drink.”

It was quiet on the now sleepy Valbonne Square. The lunch shift was over, and there were only a couple of tables remaining, with groups of people finishing off their bottles of wine in the afternoon sun. Jennie and her fellow students sat down around one of the front tables, shaded by a big parasol. She waved at Alain when he came out.

“Bonjour, Jennie. How’s my favorite Korean doing today?” He cast her one of his most charming smiles, scratching the stubble on his chin.

“I’m great, thank you.” Jennie looked up at him. “And you, Alain?”

Alain looked around the group and rested his eyes on Samantha. “I can’t complain. Not with all these beautiful women on my terrace.” He shot a fleeting glance at Samantha’s low-cut top before turning back to Jennie. “What can I do for you?”

Jennie gestured to the others. “Don’t worry, we won’t bother you with food. Just a bottle of rosé would be great.”

Alain winked. “Only the best rosé for you, ma belle.”

Brenda and Samantha giggled. “I see you’ve made friends already. He’s cute. Tall dark and handsome,” Brenda whispered. “And I think he likes you.”

Jennie shook her head and slouched, stretching her legs out in front of her.
“I’m not so sure about that, Brenda. I’ve got the feeling Alain likes anything with a pulse. Besides, I think I’ve had enough of men for the time being.” She turned to Graham. “So, tell me, Graham. What’s your story? Are you married?” she asked.
She knew nothing about him, other than that he was from California, which she had only guessed by his accent.

“Yeah. I’m married,” Graham said. “My wife and I are renting a place in Cannes for the summer.”

“Oh how romantic,” Brenda shrieked. “I wish I’d meet a man who would take me to Cannes one day.”

Graham grinned. “Romance is dead, Brenda. No need to be envious. Our therapist thought it might be a good idea if we went away for a while and spent some real time together. I suppose it’s the last chance to save our marriage. We both retired early and realized we couldn’t stand being around each other all day. All we did was fight.” He laughed. “And now we’re here, still fighting, just a little less.”

“Was your wife not interested in doing Marie-Louise’s course?” Samantha asked.

“Not really.” Graham grimaced. “She’s more into shopping. And that’s an expensive hobby, especially when staying in Cannes.” He thanked Alain, who brought over their bottle in a cooler and filled up their glasses before taking a long drink.

“But hey, if it makes her happy… Anyway, Doctor Chuckabee - that’s the name of our couples therapist - claims it’s good to partake in activities separately. That way we’ll have something to talk about when we see each other again.” He paused and thought for a moment. “I’m not sure if we’re talking more now, but I must admit, I do like being away from her twice a week.” He laughed. “I’m trying to convince her to join a tennis club or take cooking classes, so she can meet other people too, maybe make some friends.” He shrugged. “So that’s me. What about you guys?”