sixteen

“So, is this a date? Or do you make a habit of doing your shopping in Italy?” Jennie asked, looking at Lisa over the brim of her shades. She pulled the lever on her seat and pushed back, making herself comfortable with Gumbo on her lap. They were driving along the coast on the scenic route, passing through Monaco. The view of the French Riviera in Èze and Villefranche-Sur-Mer had been stunning, and now, it was the extravagance of Monte-Carlo that took her by surprise as they passed yachts lining the coast and outrageously over-the-top villas that painted the coastal road to Italy.

“I do tend to go once or twice a month,” Lisa said. “But today is definitely a date.” She gave Jennie a flirty look as she stepped on the gas, speeding through a tunnel.

“You’re such a show off.” Jennie laughed. She couldn’t have been happier, with the coastline to her right, and the most stunning woman in the world to her left.

Lisa was wearing a crisp white shirt, jeans and suede navy loafers. She looked like she’d stepped right out of a yacht club with her dark shades and swanky silver watch that completed her outfit. Jennie hadn’t been able to eat for two days. Her stomach did funny things whenever Lisa was around, and even when she wasn’t there, Jennie thought of her constantly, reliving their passionate night over, and over again. She still felt a bit funny about being on a date with a woman. It was probably something she had to get used to. But the delight of Lisa's presence, her touch, and her company made such thoughts fade into the background as fast as they came. She didn’t want to think about the fact that time was flying by, and that she would have to go back home soon. Because when Lisa had pulled into the driveway that afternoon, Jennie felt a happiness she couldn’t quite comprehend.

As they neared Italy, the landscape shifted significantly. The palm trees that lined the roadside were replaced by cacti, roses and carnations. The stone houses were smaller, with fruit orchards and gazebos, where the homeowners sold fruits from their own front yard. Even the traffic changed after they’d passed the Italian border. As opposed to France, where the back roads were reasonably quiet, the Italian roads were busy and chaotic, especially near the coast. Jennie winced at the sound of beeping horns when they entered the city center of San Remo. Lisa was a good driver, and she seemed to naturally adjust to the traffic around her as she scooted into an alleyway and parked the car in a tight space between two other cars.

“Are you hungry?” She asked after she’d turned off the engine.

“I am now,” Jennie said, looking for Gumbo’s lead between her feet on the floor. “I haven’t been able to eat much.” She smiled. “Let’s just say I’ve been distracted, but my body is finally screaming out for food.”

“Distracted, huh?” Lisa looked at her, arching an eyebrow. She reached for the door handle to step out of the car, then changed her mind, grabbed Jennie's arm and pulled her towards her. She ran her other hand through Jennie's hair as she kissed her hard, deepening the kiss even more when Jennie moaned softly. Jennie's head started spinning as she sank into Lisa's arms, desire shooting through her like lightning. She felt like a teenager, making out in the car in a dark alleyway, but she didn’t care.

Lisa finally pulled out of the kiss, licked her lips and smiled. “I’ve been wanting to do that for days.”

“I was hoping you would.” Jennie melted when she looked into Lisa's eyes. They were so full of longing and promise of more to come.

Lisa held her gaze, then chuckled and shook her head. “I’m going to step out of the car now, before I try to ravage you on the front seat.” She got out and opened the door for Jennie and Gumbo. He was pulling on the leash, desperate to get to the nearest peeing spot.

Jennie was blushing, still recovering from the toe-curling kiss they’d just shared as she let him drag her along with him. “I’m not used to people opening doors for me, driving me around and taking me on dates, Lisa.” She waited for Gumbo to empty his bladder.