fourteen

Jennie bent over the car door and gave Lisa another long kiss. Lisa had been trying to get to work all morning but each time they started kissing, they were unable to stop themselves from taking it further.

She pulled a sorry face as she started the engine. “I don’t want to leave right now, but it’s best if I’m on site while they do the planting,” she said. “It’s a crucial stage and I don’t want anyone to make mistakes.”

“Of course.” Jennie stepped back, allowing Lisa to reverse. “I’ll see you in a couple of days.” She blew her a kiss and waved, reminding herself to keep her mouth shut, so she wouldn’t let anything corny slip.

Lisa waited for the gates to open and looked over her shoulder at Jennie. “Hey Jen?”

“Yes?”

“Can I take you out for lunch when I’m back?”

Jennie's face broke into a huge smile while she shielded her eyes from the sun. “I would love that.”

“Great. I can’t wait.” Lisa beeped the car horn before she drove off with Gumbo on her lap.

Jennie stayed in the driveway until the gates had closed, missing her already. Her head was spinning from the all-consuming love making the previous night and that morning. Her legs were still shaky, and her restless core kept reminding her that everything was different now. It was only early afternoon, but the overload of entirely new feelings forced her to open a bottle of wine to calm herself down. She poured herself a glass of Chablis and walked over to the pool where she sat down on the edge with her feet in the water. Jennie had no idea what to do with herself. Drive into town? Read? Paint? She didn’t really feel like doing anything and was quite happy to just sit there, reliving her steamy encounter with Lisa in the pool.

Their first kiss had been mind-blowing, just like every other kiss after that. Lisa's touch had been electrifying, her voice soothing and sexy. Jennie closed her eyes and shivered at the thought of Lisa's naked body pressed against hers in the pool. What is happening to me? She took a long drink from her wine, stood up and removed her clothes. It felt sensual, standing there with the soft breeze caressing her skin. She turned to the south, allowing the sun to warm her naked body and stretched out before diving into the pool.

Later that day, Jennie's phone rang for the first time in weeks. She reluctantly reached over, rummaging through her purse. She hesitated when she saw the name on the screen, but knew that Jaehyun would keep on ringing. He wasn’t one to let things linger.

“Jaehyun?”

“Hey Jennie.” There was a pause. “How are you doing?”

“I’m good.” Jennie swallowed hard at the sound of his voice. It wasn’t that she missed him or regretted the divorce. It was the reminder of all the years she’d wasted that was hard. She’d invested her time, energy and love into something that would be reduced to nothing more than the batch of money they were about to discuss, and that was a sad thought. Trade in your marriage and your life’s work and get cash in return. By the end of the day, she’d have a lot of it.

“Are you calling to discuss the transfer of the buy-out?” Jaehyun was quiet, but Jennie knew he was nodding on the other side of the line.

“Yeah. It’s all done. The money should be in your account at the end of the day.” He chuckled. “You’ll be a multi-millionaire by five a clock.”

“Right.” Jennie said. The thought of that didn’t even excite her very much. “Will the company be okay?” She knew she didn’t have to ask. Greentech would be okay, she’d spent weeks slaving over forecasts and potential scenarios to make sure all shareholders were comfortable with the arrangement.

“Yeah. I think so,” Jaehyun mumbled. “Everyone misses you here. I’m about to hire a new CFO. The board is worried he might be a softie.” He chuckled. “But he seems right for the job.”

“And Yeri?” Jennie still felt sick, saying his new girlfriend’s name out loud. “Are you guys still together?”

“We are. We’re good.” Jaehyun paused. “Listen, Jennie. I’m sorry about everything. I messed up and I still wake up every day with guilt weighing on my gut, knowing how much I hurt you.”

Jennie closed her eyes, appreciating one of the rare apologies he’d ever given her. But that was only because he rarely messed up. Jaehyun was one of the kindest men she’d ever known and, despite the fact that he had ruined their marriage, she still liked him as a person.

“But you’re happy, right?” she asked.

“Yes. I am.”

“Well, then you didn’t mess up. You did the right thing.” She cleared her throat. “Any more news on the apartment?”

“We’ve got a bid,” Jaehyun said. "That’s another reason I’m calling you. I sent you an email, but I wasn’t sure if you were checking it daily, with you being in France and all.” Jennie heard the rustling of paperwork on the other side of the line. “One point two million. That’s their final bid.” Jaehyun waited for a reply, but knew Jennie needed time to think. They knew each other so well. “I know it’s not the one point three,” he continued, “but it’s more than we expected to get at such short notice.”

“Fine. Take it, I’m in.” Jennie said.

“Are you sure?” He sounded surprised.

“Yes. I’m sure. Take it, I trust you to deal with it.” There was an awkward silence.

“How is France?” Jaehyun finally asked. “What are you doing out there? Interviews?”

“No. I’m renting a place in the south, near Cannes. I spend most of my time reading and painting. I’m doing a watercolor course. It’s relaxing.”

He laughed. “You? Reading and painting? What’s the next thing? Are you thinking of joining the surfing community? What have you done to my wife?”

Jennie shook her head, rolling her eyes at his remark. “I’m not your wife anymore, Jae.” She paused, trembling at the thought of what she was about to say out loud. “I’ve also spent some time making love to a beautiful woman.” She waited for a reply, but he was silent. It was a dig, sure. But she wanted him to know that she’d moved on too, that she wasn’t just sitting around being miserable, missing him. “Jae, are you there?”

“I’m here,” Jaehyun said in a thin voice. “Are you serious, Jennie?”

“Uhuh.” Jennie got great joy out of trying to sound casual, even though she was trembling on the phone. It was the first time she’d said it out loud. Admitted that she was into women, or at least into Lisa. And the person she’d just admitted it to, was no other than her ex-husband. She couldn’t help but smile because it felt so good.

“What are you telling me, Jennie? That you’ve suddenly turned gay overnight too? Are you having some kind of breakdown?” He paused. “Should I be worried?”

“No, Jae. I’m fine. In fact, I’m better than ever.” Jennie decided it was time to end the call. She would leave him hanging with tons of unanswered questions to brood over. Not because she wanted revenge, but she couldn’t deny that his infidelity had hurt her confidence, and there was no harm in surrounding herself with a bit of mystery. “I have to go now,” she said. “Give me a call if there’s any more development on the apartment, will you? Bye now.” She’d hung up before he had the chance to get another word in.