Chapter 4: Cold and bloody hell

- four months later -

"Get those wolves away now Marston!" I yell trying to get heard through the hard wind and the snow.
"I'm trying! It's too many!" He yells back and I hear a few gunshots and some agonising yells from the hit wolves.
I shoot blindly without any luck. This snowstorm is the worst storm I've ever been in. And I hate snow. But Dutch wanted us two along with Micah to find some people we could get food from, or just simply rob. But we got separated from Micah and now we are chased by hungry wolves.
We keep pushing our horses through the thick snow but I wonder how long they will last. And as someone is reading my mind, Johns horse collapse and the wolves are fast to attack it.
"No! Get away!" He yells and shoots after them. But neither of them run away. Instead, one of them attacks Johns face and drags it's claws over his face, leaving a nasty wound over his cheek. I was just about to yell something when my horse just panics and rears, causing me to fly off into the soft snow. Luckily I'm quick to get up on my feet, before I get killed by any wolves.
"Shit, John get away from the horse. They don't want you!" I yell before I run to him and start to drag him away. A wolf claw down my arm and another along my stomach.
I groan in pain and manage to shoot it in the head before dragging John of the horse.
"Come on we need to run!" And this time he listens to me, instead of the fading cries from his horse on the ground. My horse are long gone and hopefully he will be okay.
John and I run the fastest we can with our injured bodies. I grab his hand with mine, to not loose him in the storm.
I don't know how many wolves that are chasing us now, if it's any at all because of the heavy wind. But I don't dare to look back either.
We continue to run along the mountainside. It's risky because a wrong step can make you fall down the ravine.
So when John suddenly trips, my heart almost stops. But luckily he is still on the edge with me. But he cries out in pain.
"Shit John! Are you okay?" I yell and crouch down to his level.
"It's my leg." He groans. I can't really see anything wrong with it so I hope it's not broken.
"Come on we need to move just a little further." I say and with all my powers I manage to drag him up. I throw his arm over my shoulders and start walking. Hopefully we will find somewhere we can stay to wait out the wind.
"Do you see anything?" I yell to him.
"No I don't".
I sigh heavily. John is heavy and I don't know how much further I can carry him. Especially because I'm wounded too.
"Maybe over there." He says and points. But the slight weight change from him causes me to loose my balance and I fall to the left. Where the ravine is.
I scream at first, thinking we are going to die. Then we quickly land in the deep snow instead. Breathing fast and heavy with John over me, I open my eyes. We are on a cliff just underneath the edge of the mountain. That was too close to death.
Carefully I push John of me.
"Shit. Are you okay Collins?" He asks checking me with a groan.
"I'm fine." I mutter and lean back at the wall. I'm so exhausted.
"Maybe we should just stay here for a while." I suggest, staring out into the emptiness.
"Can't argue with you there." John replies with a sigh.
"How's your leg?" I ask and turn my head to get a look.
"Hurts like hell. How are you? You don't look to good either."
John turns his body against me and lift my wounded arm slightly. I flinch in pain.
"I'll survive." I say with a sigh.
"You've got one over your stomach too." He notes and I nod.
"Yeah."
With a sigh from both of us we fall into a silence. I close my eyes and just hope that someone will found us. And not when we are froze or bled to death. I miss a campfire. Something warm. I miss a shelter where it's not windy.
"Are you cold?" John asks suddenly.
"Very." I reply and drag my coat closer over my body. I'm freezing actually.
"Come here." He says and I look at him confused. His arm are reached out into a welcoming gesture and I sneak closer to him.
With our arms around each other and snuggled close, we try to keep a little of the warmth we have left to hopefully be alive when someone finds us. If, someone finds us.