Chapter 7: Horseshoe Overlook

For the first time in many weeks I can see a flower. An actual flower that's growing from the ground. Finally we are getting out of the snow.
The train robbery the boys did ended well, except Bill screwed things up with the detonator. What I heard at least.
Things are a little better now. I can feel hope in the air. It's going to be a fresh start, even if it is in the west. West wasn't Dutch plan in the beginning but it will be good for now.

"One time when I was just a boy, I caught a man being sweet on my mother. You should have seen! It was..."
"Stop Pearson! I don't want to hear about your weird memories. I'm gonna change wagon." I say with a disgust look and throw the reins to him. I hop of the wagon were I spent two hours beside Bill and Pearson. Two sweaty guys that has too many stories to share. They are nice, sure. But sometimes they're just being men and too disgusting.

I wait for the next wagon were Arthur and Hosea are sitting.
"Hey! I join you two instead." I say and climb up at the back of the moving wagon.
"So you don't like hearing them talk about the good ol' days?" Arthur asks with a satisfied chuckle.
"Nope. Especially not Pearson's." I reply and climb forward and sit down on one of the barrels just behind the drivers seat.
"So what are you boys talking about?" I ask and lean forward putting my elbows on my knees, resting my head in my hands.
"The fact that you called Hosea a boy is a topic worth talking about." Arthur says and look at Hosea with a funny look.
"Haha very funny." Hosea says with a roll of his eyes. But I can see that a smile is tugging on the side of the old mans lips.
"Where are we heading anyway?" I ask, because the packing and going away from the cabins went pretty fast and I was just so happy getting out of that snow, that I didn't even think about where we were going to settle down.
"It's a place called Horseshoe Overlook. Near a town called Valentine." Hosea answers. And when I hear the name Valentine, I freeze.
"What's wrong?" Arthur asks with a worried look. I shake my head with a sigh.
"Nothing. It's just that I used to live near Valentine when I was a kid. Before my mother died." I say quietly and suddenly I get this pain in my chest and I feel that I miss her so much.
"Oh, I'm sorry." Arthur mumbles and reach his arm back to pat my knee slightly. I smile a little bit but it fade quickly. I haven't really thought about her lately. It's been so much going on, so much else to think about. She died when I was 15. It's a long time ago.
Suddenly the whole wagon bump and Arthur swears.
"The wheel is off." Hosea says and they stop the wagon quickly.
"It will be a quick fix. Just keep going we will come eventually." I yell to the others.
"Let's get this up." I mutter while Hosea and I lift up the wagon so Arthur can put on the wheel again.
"Wow I didn't think you still were that strong, old man." Arthur says to Hosea when the wheel is back.
"I did most of the job." I joke with a chuckle and both Hosea and Arthur laughs.
"Yeah no doubt on that." Arthur says and climbs up to the drivers seat.
"You can take my place Rachel. The old man got to take a nap in the back." Hosea says and sits down between the barrels and leans at the wall.
"Sure." I reply and climb up beside Arthur.
"Wanna drive?" He asks and I nod.
"You sure you dare to?" I ask playfully. Arthur chuckles.
"Not sure yet but how bad can it be?"
I take the reins and smack the horses to a steady trot.
"You'll see. Either all of us will be lying in some ditch, or we will be at that new place healthy and sound." I say with a smile and bump his shoulder with mine in a joking gesture while he chuckles again.

I drive down the path on Arthur's directions and soon we arrive at Horseshoe Overlook.
"Wow it's beautiful." I say as I look at the view.
"Yeah, it is." Arthur replies and hop off the wagon when I've stopped the horses.
Miss Grimshaw and Pearson have already started to make the place a camp. A few tents is up and Pearson's supply wagon.
"I think you drove pretty good there Rachel." Hosea says and stretches his limbs and bones.
"Thank you, Hosea. You see Arthur, it wasn't that bad."
Arthur chuckles and start loading of the supplies.
"No, it wasn't."