Chapter 8: Just another crappy day

~ two weeks later ~

"Reverend!" I yell when I harshly go through the door at the Flatneck Station. Mr Swanson hasn't been seen on two days. And he usually never leaves camp.
Three men around the table quickly turns their heads against me. One of them is Mr Swanson.
"Get your drunken ass up, we are going home." I mutter and cross my arms.
"But I haven't finished my poker game yet." He slurs and his eyes are crossing in a weird way.
"Doesn't matter. Get up." I growl and he sighs but actually stands up. But two steps later he falls down on the floor and pass out.
I sigh and roll my eyes. This was not what I wanted to do this afternoon.
"Wanna take his place, miss?" One of the men asks and I throw a look at them and shrug my shoulders.
"Sure, why not". I say and sit down on the chair Reverend sat on before.
"So, why is a pretty girl like you out picking up drunk fellers?" One of them asks as we begin to play.
"Well, I ain't a volunteer but someone's gotta do the job. Perhaps no one needs to do the job one day." I say with a heavy sigh.
"You mean he is going to stop drinking? Nah, never." The other says with a laugh.
I chuckle a little.
"Or if he's just dead." I mutter and throw out some bets. The men laughs at my bitter words.

"I like you, what's your name?" The one with the moustache asks as he places the cards on the table. I study him for a second before answering.
"Rachel." I say with a small smile and place my card.
"Pretty name. Oh no. Looks like you win this Rachel." He says and looks at the card I just threw out and I smirk confidently.
"Well I should take that drunken shit home before dawn." I say as I stand up from the chair.
"You do that. It was a pleasure meeting you, Miss Rachel." Both of them says and I wink them off by tipping my hat slightly and are just about to pick Reverend up from the floor when I realise he's gone.
"You've got to be kidding me. Where did he go?" I groan and look at the fellers.
They shrug their shoulders and I walk out from the little cabin.
Frustratedly I walk up to a fella' who is leaning against the rail, smoking a cigarette.
"Have you seen a red headed drunk anywhere here?" I ask and he nods.
"Yeah, he went that way." He says and points down the hill. I nod shortly and run down the grassy hill when I hear a noise.
A bit further away I see Reverend and another man fighting.
"Hey! Knock it off!" I yell and run up to them.
The man punches Reverend hard in the face making him stumble and fall, rolling down the hill.
The man looks up at me and walks a few steps closer.
"Your friend is an idiot." He spits.
"Yeah but you're the bigger idiot." I growl and then he loads a punch in my guts.
I groan loudly and straighten up again before kicking him between his legs and punching him in the face.
The man yells angrily and hit my face and my chest before I manage to get my knife up and sticking it in his stomach to watch him sink down dead.
I sigh and look around for Reverend but he's gone again. I groan even louder this time.
"Reverend! Where the hell are you?!" I yell.
"O shit! She killed him! She killed him!"
I hear someone scream and with a quick look of the surroundings I see who. It's a man that I assume have been handling the sheep who's now running in the other direction.
"Damn it." I mutter and run after him. This is not the kind of day I wanted.
"Hey! Stop right there!" I yell after him but he keeps running. Luckily, I'm faster so I take a steady grip of his shirt and throw him down on the ground.
"Please don't hurt me." He begs and covers his face with his dirty hands.
"Only if you swear to keep quiet. Or else things will turn real bad for you." I growl in his face dunking his head in the ground once.
"Okay! Okay! I will say nothing. I swear!" He says quickly and it almost sounds like he's going to cry.
"Good." I reply and drop him at the ground. The man is quick on his feet and stumbles away from me. And when I watch him walk away, I see a figure on the train tracks and I instantly know who it is.
"Reverend for Christ sake! Get off the tracks!" I yell and start running uphill.
He stumbles forward, probably with no clue of what he's doing.
I reach the tracks soon and run after him and that's when I see the thick dark smoke up ahead. The train is coming.
"Reverend get here now!" I scream but he doesn't move.
"My foot is stuck." He mumbles with panicked eyes and I hurry up to him. I throw a quick look at the train that is dangerously close as I manage to pull his foot up and throw us off the tracks, making us almost fall over down into the river. 
Breathing heavily I watch the train blast past us. I straighten up and look at the drunk man with a pissed look.
"You almost got us killed you damn fool!" I growl and take a hard grip of his forearm and drag him off the tracks.
"I'm sorry. I'm sorry, Rachel. When did my life become so miserable? I'm a mess." He slurs and looks like he's going to cry.
"Okay okay. Let's take you home." I mutter and throw him over my horse's butt.

A little while later I'm back in camp and have thrown Reverend in his tent to rest.
"Thank you for bringing him home, Rachel." Susan says with a grumpy but still thankful look.
"It's the last time I'm doing that!" I mutter and walk away. 
Making my way to the stew pan I see Arthur and Hosea hop of their horses and taking off their rifles from the saddles.
"Where have you been?" I ask them when they walk by.
"Hunting an elephant." Arthur replies with a smirk.
"Haha very funny." I say grumpily and fill my bowl of stew.
"Why are you so pissed off? Did someone turn your pillow to the other side?" Arthur says with chuckle. I glare at him.
"No. But I wonder how come you get to go out hunting while I have to drag drunk gang members home?" I ask with a sour look on my face. Arthur just laughs.
"Gladly someone who wasn't me could do that." He mumbles. Probably so I'm not gonna hear it but of course I do.
"You were asked first?! Why couldn't you do it?"
Hosea who's been taking food chuckles and shakes his head whilst he walks away.
"Because it's more fun to go out hunting with the old man. I'm not really a fan of Reverend Swanson." He says, taking a bite of his food. I just stare at him with a death glare.
"You've got to be kidding me! I almost died for that! And I ain't dying for Reverend fucking Swanson." I snap angrily and drop my bowl, not feeling hungry anymore and stomp away, hearing Arthur continue to chuckle for himself.

———————————————————————
Authors note:
Hi guys! Thank you so much for reading this far! I really hope you like it!
Anyway, please tell me what you think and review.
Also, I have a question for you, do you like to have a slow burn into a relationship? With like small hints to them liking each other. Or do you want things to happen fast? Please let me know :)
Thank you <3