Chapter 5: Here comes the rescue

The time felt like an eternity before we suddenly hear something. A gun shot and a faded yell. The storm has calmed a bit but not entirely. The thick snowflakes are still falling down on the cold ground and our cold bodies.
"HEY! OVER HERE!" We start to yell even if our voices are weak and cold. The other people's yell sounds closer and now familiar.
"Stop crying Marston, we are coming." A husky voice says and two seconds later I see Arthur's and Javier's heads peek over the edge.
"Glad to see you Morgan." John replies.
"It's not mutual." Arthur says and Javier chuckles.
"It's some nasty wounds you both have there." Javier says and they start to climb down.
"Yeah, he's badder than I am." I say and attend to stand up but my frozen legs fails me. Luckily Arthur catches me and picks me up in bridal style.
"Okay, lets take you two back." Arthur mutters while he climbs up to the edge while Javier have John thrown over his shoulder.
"Wow, you are way warmer than John." I say and snuggle closer to Arthur's chest. He chuckles.
"And yet I'm freezing."
They carry us back to their horses and that's when I hear that sound again. The sound of howling wolves.
"Ah great." I mutter and turn my head. "Give me your gun. I'm out of ammunition." I say and gesture quickly with my hand.
"What? You can't shoot. You are nearly dead Collins." Arthur protests and look down at my bloody body.
"But your hands are full of my dead body so you can't shoot either."
Arthur looks at me for a second before he sighs and manage to unholster his gun, handing it over to my frozen hand.
I only see three wolves. Which it's not too bad.
It's hard for my poor fingers to grab the gun and pull the trigger but I manage to shoot down one wolf while Javier takes down two.
"Quick, let's mount up before more of them turn up." Javier says and place John on the back of his horse. Arthur does the same with me on his horse.
I hold on around Arthur's waist tight while we start riding.
"Damn, more of them are coming." Arthur mutters when four more wolves are coming down the mountain.
Together we take down the wolves before nothing more happens. We nearly get jumped by one of them but I manage to shoot it before it touches Arthur's horse.
"Please, let that be all of them." I beg quietly.
"I think so. I don't see any more of them." Arthur says.
I sigh relieved and put the gun down in Arthur's holster before heavily leaning my head against his back.
I can feel Arthur flinch a little but I don't move my head.
"Hang on there, Rachel. We're nearly there." Arthur says calmly.
"Nearly where?" I mumble.
"We found some shelter by some small houses up ahead."
"Great." I reply before dozing off against Arthur.

~ a few hours later ~

I wake up with a jolt as I begin to cough. My throat are dry as hell and my head feels like it's going to explode.
"Easy Miss Collins." I hear a voice that only belongs to Susan Grimshaw. She presses a cup of water against my lips and I begin sipping it slowly, already feeling a bit better.
I'm laying in a bed in a small cabin. There is a fire in the stove warming a bit. It's only me and Susan in here.
"Is John going to be okay?" I ask, getting surprised of how raspy my voice sounds.
"Yeah, but he's going to get a nice scar in that face." She says, sounding a little bitter. But Miss Grimshaw is always bitter.
"Good." I say and lay my head back in the bed again. Slowly I begin to doze off again.