Chapter 10: Horses and O'Driscolls

Authors note:
Hi guys! Sorry for the lack of updates but I'm back now! This chapter is very long but I hope you don't mind :)
————————————————————————

I wake up before the sun has even set. The air is still pretty cold and chilly so I take my jacket. Quietly I walk over to the pot to pour some coffee. Leaning against a tree I watch the quiet camp. Everybody is asleep in their tents. Even the birds are quiet this early.
"Good morning." Someone suddenly says beside me, causing me to jump a little. I turn my head and see Charles standing there with his own cup of coffee. Okay, maybe everyone ain't sleeping.
"Yeez, Charles. You scared me." I say with a hand over my heart. Charles chuckles a little.
"Sorry. Why are you up this early?" He asks a little confused.
"I'm going to look for a new horse. Or at least one that I can use when Belle needs a rest." I say, feeling excited. Charles hums a little.
"Yeah, that's probably a good idea. Even the horses needs to rest sometimes. Be careful." He says with a smile before walking away.
"Of course." I say after him and finish my cup of coffee before heading over to Belle.
I grab her saddle from the ground and swing it over her back and tightening the straps around her stomach. Then I put the strong bit in her mouth and attach the bridle.
"Ready to go?" I ask her and she snorts happily. I mount her and we head out. The plan is to go for another thoroughbred, just because I really like that kind of breed. They have temperament, they are fast and smart. They just really suit me.
I steer Belle to The Heartlands which is not long from here. I've been told they are holding up at the side of the mountain near the river.
Belle trots through the dry grass with happy steps. She loves to be out and work. But I want the best for her. Which means she needs to get more rest.
Suddenly I see a few figures, shaped as horses further up ahead. I put Belle to a stop and take up my binocular. Sadly is just a few Morgans and Kentucky Saddlers. I put my binocular down and put Belle into a slow canter. I ride around the mountain and suddenly not so far away, I see a pair of horses.
Quickly I stop Belle and look through my binocular. And sure, there is a beautiful white thoroughbred stallion eating peacefully with his friend. It's almost a little sad to end his peace by taking him but I really need a new horse. I hop of Belle and tell her to stay before sneaking closer.
When I'm not that far away I whistle lowly. The stallion looks up quickly and pierces his eyes to mine.
"Hey there, boy." I speak calmly as I slowly approach him. Nervously he flicks his ears and rears a little. His friend decides to run away but the stallion stays.
"Shhh, it's okay. I'm not going to hurt you." I whisper and now I'm a lot closer to him. He lets out a quiet neigh as he flicks his ears backwards.
"Wow, you are a bag of energy ain't ya'?" I say as let out my hand so he can sniff it, which he nervously does.
But that's when he decides that I'm dangerous and gallops away from me.
I sigh disappointed and whistle for Belle.
It takes her a couple of seconds to reach me. I pull out my lasso and mount her. With the lasso ready, I gallop after the stallion who starts running even faster when Belle and I are chasing him. When we are close enough, I swing my lasso highly and catches his neck. Quickly I tie the rope around my saddle horn and pull Belles reins making both horses stop.
"Good girl." I say and pet Belles neck and untie the lasso.
The stallion is now really upset and rears highly.
"Easy there, big boy." I say and hop of Belles back. As hard as I can I hold the rope so he doesn't run away again.
Quickly I take a shorter hold of the rope, closer to his head and pull him in. And when he very unwillingly steps closer I manage to crawl up to his back.
Immediately he starts bucking and rearing like crazy. I hold on to his short mane but it's not easy.
I can hear Belle neigh nervously as the stallion continues to buck me off. Luckily, I know how to handle bucking horses. So I just hold on to his mane with one hand and holding the rope with the other hand. Hard I pull the rope against me so his head turns against me, that makes it harder for him to buck. And eventually, he finally stops.
"Good boy." I say and pat his sweaty neck. He's still rearing a little but it's fine. I jump off his back and pat his head to calm him down a little.
I redo the lasso around his neck to a halter around his head instead. I don't want to put a bridle or a saddle on him just yet. But he needs to learn to have someone on his back so I jump up again. He bucks just a little this time but it's over soon.
I whistle for Belle who ran away from the scene. She watch the new horse suspiciously but walks after kindly when we head back.
The stallion walks with tense steps and a high raised head but he's fine.
We ride over the train tracks and into the woods.
"Who's there?!" Someone suddenly yells making the stallion spook and rear highly. And of course I slide of his back and land into the ground with a loud noise. I groan and feel how the sharp pain is attacking my back and head.
"Oh come one Bill!" I sigh and slowly stands up with a little help from a tree.
"I'm sorry, Rachel." He mutters.
I look after the horse and hope that he isn't far away. Luckily he's standing between a few rocks a couple of meters away with a highly raised head.
I limp over to him and he backs quickly when I approach him.
"Shh, it's okay." I say calmly and reach my hand out. He looks suspiciously at me but let me take the reins. This time I'm just going to lead him the short way to camp.
With Belle in the back we arrive to the camp and I hitch my new horse up. I hitch Belle beside so he can have some company. I take off her saddle and brush her.
I also manage to brush the stallion. But he's still a bit spooky. But he really likes the sugar cubes. Soon I will try to put a saddle on him.
"That looks like a strong one." I hear Marston say behind me. I turn around with a smile.
"Yeah, and he's just as wild as the wind." I say with a laugh and pet his neck carefully. The stallion jumps a little at my touch but calms himself quickly.
"Looks young too." John continues and let the stallion sniff his fingers. The horse snorts and shake his head. John chuckles along with me.
"So what are you up to?" I ask and put down the brush into my satchel and start walking. Or limping.
"Nothing right now actually. But there is talking we are going to make that O'Driscoll spill." John says and walks along with me.
"Are you okay by the way? You can't even walk properly." John asks and stops me with a hand on my shoulder.
I look into his brown eyes and smile with my brows slightly raised.
"Yes, John. I'm okay. I just fell of the horse when he got spooked. Nothing bad." I say and pat his shoulder and start limping again. I hear John sigh.
"Whatever you say. Just take it easy." He finishes and walks away. I roll my eyes slightly and limp over to my bed. With a heavy sigh I lay down and put my hat at the ground beside the bed.
And not long after my eyes closes and I drift to sleep.