Chapter 8

Chapter 8: Elaine

I crept cautiously out of the main room. The sound of chatter slowly faded away as it was replaced by my own heartbeats echoing in my head.

Once I got to the top of the flight of stairs, a mahogany door towered over me. A lock was lying on the floor.

Someone had cracked the code before me. 

I pushed the door lightly and it swung open in response. Strangely, it made no sound. Before me was a dull grey concrete room with a unusually large table in the centre. Instead of a ceiling, a glass dome, revealing a picturesque cerulean sky, cut me off from the real world.  I turned around, suddenly feeling as if eyes boring into the back of my head. Nobody was there. Phew. I cautiously walked up to the table. On top of the table stood sixteen candles. All were lit except for two.

The flames danced, my shadow dancing with them, the room flickering to life.

I paced back and forth, trying to find a hidden meaning. I tried piecing all the information that I had together. It must have something to do with the games right?

Sixteen candles...?

Oh. My. God.

It all made sense.

Fourteen alive, two dead.

I crept up closer to the candles.

If each one represents a life, then what will happen if I blow one out?

I tried blowing out a candle. Strangely, all my effort was wasted because the flame didn't move a millimetre.

Instead, the table started spinning rapidly into the floor and came up in the same speed. This time with a note. I picked it up and read it:

Be careful Elaine. Danger is lurking where you least expect it.

Simple but spine-chilling. I tucked the note in my pocket and ran back to the safety of the main room.

---------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Wow. 111 reads. Didn't know that this would be so popular already. Ty to everyone who has followed me on my journey through 'a flicker of lights' 💗. Suggestions always welcome. 

I haven't updated in a bit, but I hope that's okay because I've been losing myself in other great Wattpad stories.

W.Kells (QQbunny) 😘