sunset

She watched the sunset at the horizon, spreading its largess into a grateful sky.

Michelle's spirit soared at the sight as she was transported into a timeless existence, ready for the protective blanket of night and new dreams.

The orange gold stretches far and wide, the colour of fire hearths and tangerines.

It is but the reflection of the dawn, the promise of the rising sun that comes after the velvety night has had its say and the land has rested once more.

Like a yellow ball of fire changed to hues of orange, and then almost tangerine, It merged with the sky, like juice-mix dissolving in a glass of water.

The clouds were cotton-candy, as though they blushed at the warm touch of the golden fading sun. They seemed like lumps of undissolved solute in a solvent, like a supersaturated solution and  Silhouettes of birds flew home across a sky.

It was a sunset I watched with an unwavering gaze, as a fiery red orb of light slowly sank beneath the horizon.

The threads of light lingered in the sky, mingling with the rolling clouds, dyeing the heavens first orange, then red, then dark blue, until all that was left of the sunset was a chalky mauve, and then that melted away in turn as stygian darkness took over the sky.

Sequin-silver stars like the glowing embers of a dying fire winked down at me as i stretch my hand in a manner that seem to engulf the fading sun in my palms, it was illuminating the atramentous curtain of sky, and then suddenly the clouds parted, and I found myself looking at a lustrous, argent disc casting brilliant rays of moonlight onto the dark grounds.

©Simon Lukas

Photo credit: Michelle