8

Oh boy, oh boy— instead of the usual 2k words, I did almost 5k. BLeSs mY pOor finGers—

All three of us jumped over the fence, soon after breaking off into a run. I held back a nervous grin, biting on my bottom lip as my eyes narrowed, the wind tussling my hair. These two; they must feel the same amount as fear as I do, but yet... they can act so precise and boldly... how... admirable!

I closed my eyes slightly, taking a deep breath before reopening them quickly to make sure I didn't trip over any roots.

Momma can be so kind to the kids in the orphanage. Her eyes are full of love and care, but how could her demeanor change so quickly? How good is her acting, I wonder?-

My eyes widened as my thoughts were interrupted. We all skidded to a halt as we came face to face with a looming obstacle before us.

"It's... It's a wall-"

Norman furrowed his eyes brows as he marched over to the tree, making sure to try and get a solid grip on both his hands and feet.

My eyes widened once again, "Norman, be carefu-"

My words were cut off by a large thump. Said sound came from Norman coming to terms with something called gravity.

I winced and rushed over, kneeling next to him, " you okay?"

Emma also rushed over, worry in her eyes, "Norman!"

Norman's sky blue eyes widened as he met my own (e/c) ones. A soft hue of pink graced his cheeks... so soft in fact that one wouldn't have noticed if you weren't paying close enough attention. He quickly averted his gaze by giving a timid closed eyed smile, "it seems like I've been thinking too much today... I'm sorry for making you, er... both of you worry."

I smiled, giving him a gentle pat on the head like I did to the smaller kids when they tripped, "as long as you're okay, it's fine! Emma, can ya do me a favor and go scope it out?"

Emma smiled determinedly, giving a slight nod as she flawlessly climbed the tree like a monkey. I couldn't help but giggle slightly at it, the tense atmosphere from earlier disappearing a bit.

I stood, taking my hand off of his head and then held it out to him as I gave a final glance to Emma, "come on."

Norman, who had unknowingly been staring at me the whole time, snapped out of his daze in an instant, taking my hand quickly with a meek 'thanks'. I gave him a slight nod of acknowledgement as I walked closer to the base of the tree, "So what do you see, Emma?"

Emma let out a thoughtful hum, carefully leaning forward while squinting her eyes, trying to capture more information on the surrounding area. She finally let out a small sigh of frustration, "nothing. The wall is about 2 to 3 meters thick."

She turned and began to climb down the tree as I walked over to Norman's new position.

She dusted off her skirt slightly, "it's super tall."

Norman stared at the wall with unwavering eyes, "there's nobody on the look out though..."

He quickly pressed his ear against the wall, closing one eye as he tried to focusing on any identifiable sound, "and the other side is quiet"

To make sure, I did the same; pressing my own ear against the tall wall. Nothing. Nothing could be heard on the other side. How strange...

I stepped away from it as Norman glanced back to Emma, "what do you think?"

Now it was Emma's turn to inspect the wall. She placed her hands on the wall, feeling around with narrowed, concentrated eyes, "well... it's strong and sturdy. Let alone any irregularities; there aren't even any seams on its surface. It's also extremely smooth."