Chapter Seven

At Mrs. Arnold's, I collected my belongings, thanked the woman for allowing me to lodge in her house, and then left. By the time evening fell, I was safely in a small yet comfortable room in 221 Baker Street.

The evening meal provided by Mrs. Hudson was excellent, a hundred times more appetizing than I'd eaten in my lodging house. The kind woman shook her head and filled my plate twice with mutton and potatoes. That and the fresh bread filled me to the brim.

My new housemaid duties began the very next morning at 6 o'clock promptly, which was the earliest I'd ever awakened. My school uniform was the closest dress I had for work. Mrs. Hudson tutted when I appeared in the kitchen to light the kitchen fire, and said she would find me something more appropriate.

Carefully, I filled the kettles, and then swept the hall and steps. I made tea for Mrs. Hudson before I carried hot water up to the other lodger, a Colonel Forest. He was nowhere in sight, so I had no clue as to his disposition.

When I returned back downstairs, I helped the landlady prepare breakfast for her tenant, and then I took it up to the colonel. By this time, the older man was up and he sat in his sitting room with his dressing gown on. "You must be the new maid," he said with a grunt. "I expect no slacking, you hear me? There is nothing worse than a careless or lazy maid."

"Of course, sir," I said, startled by his words. "I mean, no sir. I won't slack. I don't think Mrs. Hudson would stand for it."

"I didn't ask what you thought. Now, set the tray down here and run along."

Mrs. Hudson shook her head when I told her about the Colonel's words over our own breakfast. "Poor man," she said. "He has endured a great deal with having Mr. Holmes and Dr. Watson's in the other rooms, I'm afraid. His temper is usually better when Mr. Holmes is away. Perhaps he had a bad night. Pay him no mind."

Consigning the man as a permanent grouch to be avoided, I ate my breakfast. It had been nearly two hours since I'd awakened and my stomach had been grumbling for most of that time. Again, the quality and flavors exceeded anything I'd eaten while in London.

At least, I would not starve or bankrupt myself with finding good food.

The next task before me was to collect the tray from the colonel's rooms and then I scrubbed all the dishes clean. Colonel Forest left the house and I was sent up to dust his bedroom and make up the bed.

While I am certain I did not do everything exactly right and I was rather slow, I was proud of the work I had accomplished. Though my arms already ached, I was ready to take on the day's task of cleaning and dusting the staircase and hall. I was also to answer the door if anyone should come calling.

Keeping busy with so many tasks I wasn't used to kept me from thinking too much.

Lemon mixed with wax filled my senses as I made each of the seventeen steps and the bannister shine. Mrs. Hudson came twice to correct me and point out where I had missed some places, which meant I had to go back. Polishing hadn't sounded difficult, but my arms soon ached.

By the time it became noon, Colonel Forest had returned for the midday meal and I had managed to complete the task. I put the polishing supplies back in the closet where I'd found them and returned to the kitchen.

I carried up the colonel's meal and then lunched with Mrs. Hudson. My appetite which had been somewhat lacking in the past week, had returned in full force. The landlady raised an eyebrow at how much I ate.

"How long have you been on your own, Briar?" she asked. I'd expected her to refer to me by my last name, so it was odd to be called by my middle name.

"Not long," I said honestly. "I thought things would be better when I came to London, but it hasn't gone as I expected. The house where I lodged last week didn't have the kind of meals you make."