Chapter Eight

Stunned, I blinked. Here, after my years of reading of his adventures and mysteries, was the great detective himself.

"Forgive me for frightening you," he added as though it was an afterthought. "You are Mrs. Hudson's new maid, I presume?"

"Frightened? Oh, no! That wonderfully done, sir! As well or better than any actor on stage!" I exclaimed impulsively. I cringed as I belatedly realized I'd broken one of the main rules of a housemaid: never offer your opinion to your employer. "I beg your pardon, sir. I am the temporary maid, yes."

He seemed not to have noticed my lapse. Instead, Mr. Holmes was studying me with interest. "As you will be the one assisting Mrs. Hudson until she recovers, I think it only right I know your name."

It was my moment to speak up! I opened my mouth to answer him with my real name. Before I could speak, though, Mrs. Hudson called up. "Leigh? Leigh! Is that you?"

"Duty calls," Mr. Holmes said with a chuckle. He waved his hand. "Run along, Leigh. A fire will be in order once Mrs. Hudson has been informed of my return. Also, hot water as soon as it can be brought up. And tea in a few hours. Dr. Watson will be needing all three."

"Right away, Mr. Holmes," I said, backing my way to the door. I bobbed a small curtsy, grabbed my supplies, and made a quick exit. Of course, it would make more sense to wait for a more appropriate time to explain why I was there and ask for his help.

There would be time enough in the evening, or even in the morning.

Mrs. Hudson looked up from her mending as I entered the kitchen. "I thought I heard someone in the hall but didn't hear the door. Did you finish Mr. Holmes' rooms?"

"I was almost done but Mr. Holmes has requested hot water as soon as I can carry it up," I said, setting down my dusting supplies. "He said Dr. Watson will need tea in a few hours once they have washed and rested. Oh, and I must light a fire as soon as possible."

"Oh, dear," Mrs. Hudson said, looking faintly worried. "I do hope he didn't startle you, Leigh. His ways can be....eccentric at times."

I let out a laugh. "Oh, he startled me for a moment, I will confess, but nothing more than that," I said and then explained how Mr. Holmes had entered the room. Mrs. Hudson just shook her head. "My reaction seemed to have amused him."

"Did I hear you singing while you were working?"

My cheeks flushed. "Yes, ma'am." I hesitated and then added, "It's probably why I didn't Mr. Holmes enter."

"You're a fine singer, which I know Mr. Holmes appreciates. Well, hurry up and get hot water up there for him. I'll get tea started."

I'd only carried water up the stairs once for Colonel Forest. There seemed to be some trick I didn't know to hurry and not spill the hot water on myself. The door to Mr. Holmes' bedroom was closed and I hesitated to knock on it. Instead, I set the tin of hot water where he could get it and then carried the other one up for Dr. Watson.

There was no sign of the water when I returned to the sitting room. I knelt to light the fire there, and it remained otherwise quiet. My tasks complete, I hurried out and, on my way down the steps, encountered a weary-looking man who had just put his foot on the first step. He was gracious enough to step back and allow me down first. He nodded, acknowledging me and then continued on his way to Apartment B.

Dr. Watson, then. I wondered what they had been doing that they should arrive separately and the doctor to look so tired. Of course, it really was none of my business.

Perhaps a future story from Dr. Watson's pen would explain it all.

****