Chapter Twenty-One

Janis's POV

After lunch I decided to approach Caddy, not without giving (y/n) a small hug before she departed for class.

When I tapped Caddy on the shoulder she flinched, turning with wide eyes. She almost looked like a spooked small animal, causing me to tense a bit. I think I know what this is about.

"Can I talk to you in private?" I asked seriously. She gulped, nodding as she bit her lip, eyes still wide with worry.

"Uhh, yeah sure! I have something I wanna talk to you about as well." She said. I grabbed her wrist, dragging her silently to an unpopulated area of the school before turning to face her again.

"What's your deal, do you like (y/n) or something? You seemed so upset at lunch today." I asked.

"Wow, uhh, really cutting to the chase here huh?" Cady asked nervously.

"Yeah, I guess. I just... I don't blame you if you do, since I know you. You wouldn't hurt me like that after everything that happened. But I need to know if you do." I explained, losing a bit of the harshness. She closed her eyes, seemingly composing herself for a moment before opening them to gaze guiltily at me.

"...Yes, I have feelings for her. But I know how much you like her, and now you're dating and all so I promise I won't act on it." She confessed. I immediately pulled her into a tight, comforting hug. When I pulled away, she looked confused.

"I trust you. Do you feel better?"

"Yeah, actually, it feels good to get that off my chest. Bye, Janis. We should go to class." She said, smiling awkwardly at me for a moment before turning heel and walking into the still-busy hallway and assimilating into the crowd.

I exhaled slowly before doing so as well. For the rest of the day, I couldn't focus on my classwork. After an agonizingly long day we were all dismissed at it was time to head home.

(y/n), Damien and Caddy waited together at our normal spot to walk home together. I joined them, still deep in thought as I waved to them.

(y/n) immediately pranced over joyfully, pulling me into a quick hug and kissing my cheek before pulling away, beaming. She entwined our fingers and began the trek home.

Her presence brightened my mood, but when I glanced over Caddy, her gaze was locked on the ground. My grip tightened on my girlfriend who just giggled happily. This girl really was pure sunshine. I couldn't get enough of how lovely she was.

Soon enough Caddy was home so the rest of us were talked about our day and stuff. By that I mean (y/n) and Damien chattered on and I occasionally added my two cents.

I was next to be dropped off, and as I turned to go (y/n) pressed a quick peck to my cheek, which I lovingly returned.

"I'll see you two tomorrow." I told them softly. (y/n) nodded and Damien shot a salute my way before walking off with (y/n) to their street.

After getting inside, Mama came in the room to bombard me with questions.

"Hey, Janis! How was school, did you do well on that chem quiz?" She asked, removing her gardening gloves as she spoke.

"It was okay, and I got a 79% on the quiz. Why are you wearing your gloves?" I asked tiredly. I needed to go to my room to think, but I figured that could wait for just a second.

"Oh, I was just planting some new flowers out back. The weather's getting cooler, dear, so I figured I would plant my fall flowers!" She explained cheerfully. I nodded, turning to leave.

"I should go, I have homework to do." I told her, not waiting for her response as I pummeled up the stairs. Immediately when I got to my room I flopped on my bed, tossing my backpack in the ground. I needed to think.

(y/n)'s POV

Why did teachers always have to assign so much homework? Luckily, I was still feeling pretty good from the positive reception of my relationship from the group. It was like I was buzzing with energy, since I knew I didn't have to hide my affection for Janis or my identity. It was like I was on the top of the world.

Sure, Cady had been upset earlier, but she seemed better when we walked home, occasionally weighing in on the conversation, so either Janis had talked to her or she just wasn't feeling well at lunch. I hoped it was the first, since she seemed so out of it earlier. I'd hate for her to be sick.

I figured it was nothing and got on with my homework. I had tests and quizzes galore that needed to be prepared for, plus assignments to turn in.

I just had to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and move on. Hopefully Janis had taken care of anything that needed taking care of.

After all, if it was important she'd tell me.

(859 words)