Ponyboy isn't the Only One With a Crush On His Best Friend...

"Pony!"

Ponyboy had quickly looked to the door that had suddenly opened from the couch, his friend Johnny looking at him with a face he's definitely seen before, and he was sure that the boy was worried about something... or confused? The brunette sat up with a questioning sort of expression, the dark toned teen rushing beside Pony and sitting next to him in a kind of embarrassed haze?

"What? Did something happen?"

The freckled 14 year old asked in as much curiosity that he could show without asking the same thing repeatedly, the ravenette nodding before dropping his head in his hands. Of course, like a good friend would do, Pony placed a comforting hand on the other's back and let Johnny take his own time before telling him what exactly happened. Ponyboy was wondering what the issue was, his friend has never burst in like that before; well, he did a couple times because of his abusive parents, but that was usually at night, or whenever his parents showed up unexpected after drinking. But it was the early afternoon, Soda and Darry were working, and it was summer break for them, so it was really unexpected for Johnny to show up without them planning it, he guessed.

"I've been noticing how this certain girl has been pretty much following me for a couple days now, and today, she decided to come up to me."

"That's kind of creepy..."

"Right. And the first question she asked me was if I had a girlfriend."

Pony had almost flinched at the words, god, if Johnny got a girlfriend, he'd feel terrible; not because she'd be taking more time away from the two of them to hang out, but he'd feel so jealous because of the sudden change, and he'd be angry at himself for not admitting his feelings sooner. The brunette is too much of a coward to do it, and he wasn't sure how Johnny would feel about it... clearly Pony had a huge crush on his own best friend, and whenever Steve or Dally joked about them being boyfriends, he'd become tense like they actually knew how much he took a liking to the one and only Johnny Cade. Nobody around Oklahoma liked gays, it was very frowned upon, which made telling Johnny how much he loved him and his voice and his laughter so... difficult. Just thinking about it made him quite anxious, no wonder his lips looked chapped or chewed up all of the time...

"Y-Yeah-? What'd ya say?"

"Well, of course, I told her no, but instantly she became persistent and kept asking if we could go out or somethin'."

Johnny replied with a deep sigh, the memory of all of it happening worrying him, but annoyed him too. Pony rubbed his stressed friend's back with a bite of his lip, waiting for the ravenette to tell him what happened next.

"I really didn't want to, but I couldn't really make an excuse, I already told her I wasn't talkin' to nobody, I didn't know what to do..."

"So-? Did you agree to go somewhere with her-?"

"No... I stupidly told her I had lied before about the whole girlfriend thing. She didn't believe me, and I kind of expected that she wouldn't, but I really tried to convince her."

Pony hummed lightly in thought, genuinely curious as to where this was going. He wasn't surprised that some girl found Johnny attractive, he really was, but he wondered why he didn't want to go out with her. So he decided to ask about the girl.

"What was her name?"

"Apparently her name was Victoria, but who knows if that's her real name."

"Was she cute?"

"Well, yeah, she was pretty. But she was annoying and a bit... touchy.."

The gray eyed teen raised his eyebrows at that, Johnny turned down a pretty girl? I mean, he guessed looks didn't matter much to the dark skinned boy, Johnny has said before that it was the personality he liked more than just a person's looks. The ravenette looked back with pure confusion, wondering why his friend was looking at him like that.