Secret Practice

(Art above isn't mine!)

Ponyboy was simply getting ready for school that morning, rushing per usual so he wasn't late, but he really had no reason to be going so fast today. School didn't start for another half hour, and he's been awake for at least 20 minutes. Even Darry considered telling him to slow his roll, but he knew that Pony wouldn't listen to him considering how stubborn he was; so he didn't bother, just simply watched as his youngest brother ran around the house trying to grab things for school.

"Ponyboy, why are you in such a rush?"

Sodapop asked from the sofa, seemingly thinking the same thing as Darrel. The brunette finally stopped in place when spoken to, a backpack already on his back and a shoe on one foot; looking like he was going to be in trouble if he didn't hurry up.

"Uhh... I have a uh... a project! I have to get to school early so I can finish it with Johnny... Darry, can you drive me?"

"I mean, I don't work until 9 today so, I guess I can. What project is this class for exactly? It seems like that Johnny kid is always your partner for everything."

Ponyboy's cheeks flushed a light pink, but he turned away before either of them could notice, finally finding his other converse and sliding it on without a word for a couple moments.

"It's for English. We have to do this analysis together on a book we've read recently, and we agreed to meet at the library before first period so we can check over our work. But I overslept, which is why I'm trying to hurry..."

Darry walked out of the kitchen with a simple nod of understanding, keys jingling in his pockets as he made his way to the front door.

"Well? Are you ready to go right now?"

"Uh- Yes, actually. Thanks, Dar."

"Yeah yeah, no problem."

The two brother's ventured out of the door to the little blue car Darry owned, the more muscular of the two sliding into the driver's seat and shutting the car door; Pony getting in the back before setting his backpack beside him, fiddling with his fingers and hoping to god that his brother wouldn't ask anymore questions, because he didn't have much more he could thing of to back up the lie he made.

"Y'know you're old enough to sit in the front, right?"

The pale teen peered up at the rear view mirror to see Darry's eyes staring back at his, shrugging before averting his gaze to look out of the window, even if all he could see was his house for right now.

"Yeah, I know. But I like sitting in the back."

And that was all that was said, Darry started to pull off of the side of the road while Pony stayed silent, tapping his foot on the ground while staring out the window; watching as houses starting to pass by as they drove off to his high school. High school isn't as bad as people make it out to be, it's pretty easy if you follow instructions and do as your told, most teachers are pretty chill, and didn't care if you showed up to class or not.

But he wouldn't tell Darry that, because then he'd think that Pony was starting to get the idea of not going to class and hang out with friends instead; it wasn't actually that far off, but he still showed up and did his work, he just... was early to school sometimes for his own reasons. Not the kind you'd go off telling everybody, if you know what I mean. Ponyboy almost managed to fall asleep in the car considering that it was 7:26 in the morning, but somehow, they were already there before he knew it; and as expected, there weren't many kids there yet.

"Alright, kid. We're here. Have a good day, okay?"

"Yeah yeah, I will."

Pony replied tiredly, pushing the door open and exiting the vehicle before waving to his brother, closing the door behind him and watching as Darry drove off, probably back to their house so he could get ready for work. The brunette took a deep breath in before turning on his heel, he could practically feel his heart pumping in his stomach, he hadn't ate, but that wasn't the problem; he was nervous for what was about to come.