Modern AU

This chapter is about DID, Dissociative Identity Disorder. To learn more about that please go to the YouTube channel, DissociaDID.
This chapter is based off of the book "Children of the Mind,"so if you haven't read that, I highly recommend it.

———

Ender would constantly find things around his home that he swears he did not buy. Things that just show up. But he knew he actually bought them because he always seemed to be just a little short on money for that week.

He found this strange, sure, but he wasn't about to make a big deal out of it. It was just a minor inconvenience.

It was days like now, when his thoughts seemed to be particularly loud and things around him looked (and felt) blurry, that he worried just a little.

Ender looked down at his hands. He didn't feel... aware. It was as if he were looking through a screen. He could feel himself retreating into the blur and now instead of looking at his hands, he was looking at himself looking at his hands.

It was all very strange indeed, but Ender didn't think about it. It wasn't something he dwelt on until he started finding writings in his journals that were not his. It wasn't even in his handwriting.

He asked his sister Valentine, who had been over recently, but they were not hers. He asked his mother (she had come with Valentine), but they were not hers either.

Ender was left to wonder exactly who was writing in his journals, why he didn't remember buying certain items, and how he couldn't remember whole days out of his most recent weeks.

And in a sudden moment of clarity, he realized— it was him. All him. Then the clear thought faded and he was doubtful.

Even so, he had to be sure. In order to be sure, Ender knew he would have to speak to a therapist.

When he did, days later, they decided to test him.

When they tested him, it came back with a few results, but only one new one. Ender had DID.

Ender was skeptical, but reading it on his face, his therapist reassured him.

"It's quite possible you don't have DID," she stated, "but we're positive the results are correct, so we'll start with the basics."

That's how Ender learned that he was not at all one person, but a mere fraction of a person. A segment of himself. That's how Ender learned about his two alters. Peter and Val.

Both interjects, as his therapist told him. And after listening to his description of his relationships with his real life siblings, she also said that Val is probably his protector, while Peter is quite possibly a prosecutor or a trauma-holder.

Ender, to his amazement, fascination, and fear, spoke to both Peter and Val. He spoke to them in his head, in his journals... anywhere he could. Ender learned that Val wasn't his protector at all, but simply there, existing as part of himself. Peter was his protector. Oh did that come as a shock to him. His once most feared abuser was his protector in his head. At the time he had shrugged it off and laughed. The irony, he thought.

But more recently, he became thankful to have Peter around because, while it was scary to lose time to Peter, and hear his brothers voice in his head, Ender came to realize that he was helping, more than he was harming. If ever Ender felt overwhelmed, Peter was there to help him through it, or even take the reigns while Ender recouped.