The royal ball goes WRONG!?!!

She quickly pulled back and turned around to face her own embarrassment. She mentally slapped her forehead and drifted off into a peaceful sleep.

The next morning Maddy was awakened by water hitting the floor. Realising that it was just the shower, she groaned and went back to sleep. A few minutes later she woke up to sudden scurrying feet and whispers. She blinked awake to find maids all around the room and let out a sudden shriek.
"It's alright, everyone get out!" He ordered and they all marched out like robots at his command.
"Thank..ss.." she stuttered seeing him shirtless and dripping with water.
"Just so you know, we're attending a royal ball this evening to celebrate," he flashed her a quick smile and disappeared off into his huge closet.

Maddy picked at her food, it seemed so perfect and prepared. Something about it, she didn't like. She was dressed in a loose, light green, mid-high dress with some cute strapped black sandals. She was currently at a family dinner with her parents and the tension could be cut with a knife.
"Maddy . . ." Her father began. For once he wasn't on his phone, for once his whole attention was on her and she squirmed under the pressure.
"Yes, daddy," she avoided his concerned gaze.

"Say something," her father startled her. Was he worried about her?
"No David. Ask her about how she likes the castle," her mother snapped whilst putting down her fork.
"How do you like the castle," her father sounded sad, very very sad.
"It's pretty big," she mumbled loud enough for them to hear.
"It is isn't it. I just think it's wonderful," her mother clapped her hands.

The rest of lunch went on just as awkwardly. He father would express concern then her mother would cut him off and Maddy would be forced to answer dull questions. After lunch she spent the next few hours wandering the castle. It was a huge place and she had almost figured her way in and out when the maids took her back to her bedroom.

"What's this for?" She questioned them as they sat her down and began their preparations.
"The ball this evening, ma'm," a short maid smiled.
"Ohh . . . Right," as Maddy wondered off to what this evening was going to look like, the maids dressed her up.

Her hair was done into one of those complex buns with a few loose strands as her nails were painted a colour of lavender. Her face was covered in expensive makeup, her eyes were fitted with fake lashes and her eye lids were splashed with a mix of magenta and boysenberry. Her beautifully full lips were covered with a colour of mulberry. Maddy could really see the theme here, shades of purple. The most wonderful thing about her whole outfit was the ball gown.

It wasn't heavy, it wasn't traditional, it was just right. The upper body was fitted tightly but not too tight which went up till her waist. There was a thin black strap that turned larger on the way down to her chest. The colour turned from black to dark purple to an orchid colour. Below her waist the silky material puffed out and flowed down till her ankle in a colour of lilac to periwinkle. What blew her mind was just how much shades of purple was in that dress. It started out dark, then turned out light. It showed off just the right curves and shaped her body in the most comfortable way.

Her silver heels click clacked as they made their way to the huge ball room that was being decorated from yesterday night and was finally finished. There was a huge balcony at the top where three royal chairs sat which lead down some beautiful golden stairs that finished at the front of the room. At the sides there were large silver tables of food and drinks and in the middle there was a circular glass dance floor. The walls were cleaned and filled with glitter and colours and the floor was polished clean. There was so many people that she felt dizzy with nervousness. It was absolutely remarkable yet so simple.

"You look beautiful," a voice whispered in her ears which caused her to spin around abruptly.
"You don't look too bad yourself," she smirked once she saw his face in that expensive tuxedo.
"Not too bad, whatever do you mean?" he pretended like it hurt and held out his arm for her.

He guided her through the crowds so confidently and didn't even take an eye off her the whole time.
"What?" She finally said.
"Nothing . . . It's just . . .," he started and stopped as he watched the crowds quiet down.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, I am honoured to introduce to you the king and the queen," a voice said as the whole room started to clap like crazy.

Two figures stepped foot onto the balcony and sat down on the thrones. The queen's warm eyes and radiant smile looked familiar yet Maddy didn't recognise her. The kings stone cold face and confident stride caused shivers down her spine. As the applause cut down the King rose from where he was perched.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, tonight is a very special night for us all. Tonight is the night we will dine in style, for we know that everything that will come from today on will be a celebration that we will all be grateful for. Here's to the kingdom," he raised his glass of untouched wine as the crowd followed his lead.

"Did you like uncle's speech?" He whispered in her ear.
"Sure," she didn't know what else to say. His uncle? The king? Oh my goodness!
"He's my second uncle, if that's what your wondering," he added quickly, something about her expression might have given off a hint.
"It all seems so . . . Royal," she settled with.
"Well, you are at the royal palace," he smirked and she couldn't help but smile back at him.

"Let's go meet some people," his grip tightened as he went from one to another introducing them both. Everyone seemed so nice and friendly although Maddy could tell from the whispers that she was being judged. However, she didn't give in and continued to fake smile through the boring conversations. Occasionally, Jaylen would send her a quick reassuring smile and that would bring her the courage to continue a little bit more.

"I'm going to go get a drink," she said after a long conversation about the military with the general.
"Of course," Jaylen released his grip and she set off towards the table. There was a variety to choose from. Champagne, wine, cocktails, beer, mixed drinks. She finally went with a tequila sunrise cocktail and sipped on it as she looked on the crowds. People were dressed traditionally with huge, heavy gowns. Some were dressed in simple dresses with expensive jewellery and others were dressed in more showy dresses.

A hand grasped her elbow and she looked behind her shoulder to find a surprisingly excited Jaylen.
"What is it?" She asked him playfully.
"I have someone I'd like you to meet. He's like a brother to me and it's kind of like a special day for him as well," he sounded like a little kid on a sugar high.
"Okay, well, who is it?" Maddy raised an eyebrow.
"I'll be right back," he disappeared just like that, leaving her to her own questions.

She examined the king and queen, looking down on all those people, including her. The king just looked past her but the queen sent her a warm smile that lit up her heart. Just as she was smiling back, Jaylen put a hand on her back and she turned around to widened her eyes and drop her smile because there he stood.

The man that had caused her so much pain, the man that she used to know, that she used to have a past with, the man that had her confused every second of those days. The man that showed her love, comfort and hope, the man that gave her a family, the man that fought for her. The man that she refused to love but once did loved . . .

and now hated.