Chapter 5

I'm lounging on a cloud, feeling the heat and slight breeze of the wind touch my skin.

I bask in it, finally feeling my worries melt away as I embrace this new feeling, this tranquil feeling.

I begin to close my eyes and relax my muscles, my body molding into the weightless cloud when I'm rudely startled by a scream.

I sit up quickly, spotting a yellow rubber duck that screams while spinning in the direction of the sun.

I try to reach for it, remembering how Declan and Luca loved their rubber ducks as babies. However, my hand only catches air as I miss the spiraling duck.

As it disappears into the sun, a hoard of spinning rubber ducks appear from behind me, also vanishing into the bright sphere in front of me.

I notice that the more rubber ducks that disappear, the closer the sun gets. And the closer it gets, I start to feel the heat on my skin tenfold until it feels like I'm burning.

Then it was on top of me and I was on fire. I was screaming-

— — —

I spring up from my bed sweating and panting. Looking down at my body I see no fire, but feel my old scars throb. Reminding me not to forget.

I wipe the tears from below my eyes and reach for my phone checking the time.

Seeing that it is 2 am, I sigh and nestle back under my covers. With racing thoughts, I reach over to the nightstand grabbing my earbuds and plugging them in, knowing that it will be another night without sleep.

— — —

I walk sluggishly into school, my feet dragging as I make my way to my locker.

I spot Bexley at her locker, headphones in and doing a little shimmy as she occupies herself with something in her locker.

When I place myself in front of my locker, only then does Bexley notice me.

She jumps up in excitement, "Everleigh! Are you ready for your second day of Mentor Bexley?"

I grunt in response as I attempt to open my locker. With no success, I groan as I rest my head in defeat against the cool surface of the locker.

Bexley watches the ordeal then she suddenly leans forward, turns me around, and hugs me, "Looks like you need it."

I'm stiff at first, but slowly relax, keeping my arms at my side I close my eyes, embracing the loving gesture.

Suddenly, I feel a stronger pair of arms circle around Bexley's arm and onto me. My eyes snap open to see Kaden's arms circle Bexley from behind and end around me.

He looks between us with a bright smile, "Group hugs are the best."

"Get off you buffon, we were having a moment!" Bexley says with a teasing smile, Kaden pouts in return but doesn't let go.

"Hugs strengthen your immune system you know," Clyde says from behind me.

"Then get in here!" Bexley says reaching her hand out and yanking Clyde towards us.  Reluctantly, he wraps his arms around the sides of us.

"I'm only hugging you because it benefits me," Clyde says.

Kaden laughs, "Sure, buddy."

As I'm squished even more, I ask with a strained voice, "Could you add any more people?"

Not realizing my sarcasm, Bexley replies, "Of course!"

She whips her head from side to side looking for her next victim. Her eyes glint and I know she's got something up her sleeve, "Caspian, get your ass over here! Join the hug! There seems to only be room behind Everleigh."