.08

a/n: please vote and comment!

SPENCER WAS NEVER A LIGHT SLEEPER

But the sound of screaming usually did the trick to wake her up.

Her body moved before her mind could - she was upright in bed, backing up to the bedframe as her brain scrambled around for context, for an explanation.

She was in the compound. In her room in the compound. It had been a week since she'd come here - a week of wandering, being confused, but never of screaming. She'd never heard this before.

The screaming was close to her, and it sounded like pain and distress at a level Spencer's heart tore at.

And then she recognized the voice.

Immediately, Spencer was running, falling out bed, reaching for the wall as she fought off dizziness and confusion. She swung open the door to her room with such force that she had to tug her own hand away before it slammed her against the wall.

Spencer ran.

It was only the room next to her, she knew that but still, she ran - her breath staying at the door as she raced down the hall, slamming her fist against the door 415.

Then she decided, screw it - because if Bruce was getting attacked, she didn't need to knock on the damn door. To hell with being polite.

But when she pulled open the door, Spencer didn't see anyone attacking anyone.

Spencer saw something so much more tragic, that her heart strained against her chest, trying to give her back she breathe.

Her dad on the bed, curled into a tight ball and screaming these horrible screams that Spencer thought she really was dying. Because he had to be dying or something - if that's the pain he felt.

The moment of hesitation was over, and Spencer was practically jumping for the bed, her arms reaching for the shaking figure writhing around.

"Dad," Spencer called, gasping for air. Her hands reach in the dark for his shoulders but landed on his arms instead. He wasn't screaming anymore, now he was choking, spluttering out what breath he had as he struggled to regain himself.

"It's okay, Dad," Spencer said, but she wasn't too sure about her own words. She'd never seen him like this.

She tugged him away from himself, and for a moment, Spencer could see part of his face.

His skin was tinted green. He looked so sick. Spencer didn't know much about sickness, but she was pretty sure that was a sign he was going to puke or something.

Her hand tightened around his forearm as she leaned forward, surprised at how green he was getting. "Dad, you need-"

His head jerked away before she could finish her sentence. His back was to her as though the shutters for air, he shouted, "Get out!"