ONE

Under the bright moonlight, accompanied by dark surroundings, stood a lean figure wearing a black party wear dress. She clutched the bag in her hand and looked into the abyss of the black road ahead. The sound of her lone tear after rolling down her cheek and hitting the ground was the only sound she could hear.

Don't cry. You can't cry for this. You're strong. C'mon stop. Damn! It really hurts.

She heard some footsteps approaching her. "Amira", called a male voice. His voice was so gentle like a spring breeze. " Where are you Amira?", now it's the voice of a woman. She knew them. She knew they were coming to pacify her. She knew they care about her. But she didn't respond. She didn't want to see them now.

" Amira, please understand. And listen to me.", the man wearing a black tuxedo said in a pleading voice." I never meant for you to fall for me. I always thought of you as a sister", he continued. Amira turned around to face the two.

There stood a handsome man and a beautiful woman. The woman wore a red dress that ended up above her knees with a deep v line neck. They both stood side by side just like in the hall when their engagement was announced. Amira felt like her heart was poked with a needle looking at them holding hands.

" Amira, you know that-", the blonde girl was cut off in the middle by Amira. " I know it. I know. I just felt uneasy and I'm leaving. Can't you just leave me alone?", Amira wanted to say calmly but it came out more like a yell. The tears that she suppressed until now flooded her eyes.

" Calm down Amira", the man stepped forward. " Stop", Amira shouted. The cool attitude she always kept was nowhere near her now." I know you both love each other but I don't want to listen anymore.................and congratulations on your engagement.", she said, her voice shaky.

Just then, a black Mercedes came and stopped beside her. The woman who drove the car rolled down the window and popped her head out and shouted, " Hey Am! Get in". Amira held back her tears that threatened to come out and turned her back to them and headed towards the car. The man and woman just stood there silently watching Amira walk to the car. Just when she was about to open the door to the passenger seat, she turned her head in their direction, her misty red eyes on the man and opened her mouth, " Sam, I'm afraid I won't let it go if I don't say it........... I love you.........and please don't pity me cause it hurts more than anything". Then she looked at the person beside him for a moment before opening the door and getting inside the car.

The man and the woman watched in silence as the car drove away from them. They knew she was hurt but they couldn't do anything.

Amira stared outside the window, looking at the streetlights passing by. Tears involuntarily flowed down her pale cheeks.

Here it ends. My unrequited love. 14 years of unrequited love.

" Are you alright, Am?", Jenna asked glancing at her friend sideways. She received no reply. She sighed in her heart. She knew Amira for two decades from the time they first met in the orphanage. This cool and classy friend of her only lost her cool when it comes to him, her love. Now, she could only help her by giving her some time to calm herself down.

Amira, after arriving at Jenna's house, directly went into the guestroom and locked the door before stepping into the bathroom to cool herself down. She filled the bathtub with cool water and stepped into it with her dress on. On a winter night, in cold water, it would be freezing but she felt nothing. She just felt numb. As she rested her head back, all the memories flooded in her mind, making her suffocated.

Her time in the orphanage she was left in when her single mother died, her foster parent's cold attitude, all her painstaking efforts to learn everything her foster parents wanted her learn, her yearning for familial love and affection, the time she breathed comfort and relief with Sam, all the betrayals, fake concerns, envious glares, experiences in the office. She endured everything from the age of 16 when she first entered the business world and finally stabilising herself as general manager , just for her parents' acknowledgement of her. Just for them to love her.

And then, she got nothing.

You got nothing. You shouldn't have wanted something you couldn't get. Now , see .......... Pathetic.

Like that , she felt her consciousness leave her.And darkness engulfed her.