Part 13

A slow, painful week had gone by, but surely enough, it had gone by. I had hundreds of texts and missed calls from Kayden, Jason must've given him my number, and many voice calls of him begging to meet me. Another phone call came through, and this time I decided to pick it up.
"Yes?"
"Amy." Kaydens voice said, sounding exhausted. "Please let me talk to you."
"Why? What could I possibly want to hear from you?"
"I know you're angry, I know. But please, you deserve to know and I just-please, Please Amy." I paused, thinking carefully about my answer.
"Fine." I breathed. "But only for an explanation, nothing else."
"Yes, Yes, an explanation that's all I need." Kayden rambled.
"I'll pick you up at 7-"
"No." I interrupted. "I'll meet you there." Kayden knowing where I lived is the last thing I want.
"Okay. Where?"
"The beach." I said, wanting to be where there are others around.
"Okay. See you tomorrow?" Kayden questioned, wanting to meet sooner than I thought.
"Okay, Yes." I ended the call, rubbing my face in my hands thinking about what I've just done.

"Thank you so much Meg." I sighed as Jessica played with Joshua in the living room.
"This is not a problem, you know that. I'm just worried about you meeting Kayden."
"I'm worried too if I'm being honest. But I'll just get this out the way and everything will be fine." I smiled, putting my jacket on and saying goodbye before leaving the house. As I made my way closer to the beach, I could make out Kaydens figure, his gaze strongly on me. My hair was blowing behind me as I walked up to him, his jaw clenching and unclenching, this situation bringing me back to when we were younger.
"Amy." Kayden whispered. "You actually came."
"Yeah." I whispered back, not looking into his eyes. He brought his hand to my face, his cold fingers stroking my cheekbones.
"You're face. You're beautiful, gentle face." I immediately pulled away.
"I can't believe what I've done to you, Amy. The times I hit you, shouted at you, lied to you, that wasn't me, you know that wasn't me."
"That was you, everything before it was an act." I said, trying to put on a brave face.
"When you found out I had depression, I was at my lowest. Everything fucked me up and when you left me." He slowly breathed and looked out to the sea. "When you left me, I didn't want to live anymore." I flicked my eyes to his face, watching his movements.
"But instead of leaving, I got help, I got so much fucking help Amy. I'm not cured, but I'm better. I swear to you I'm better."
"Why are you telling me now? I'm glad you're better Kayden but why has it got any relevance to me?"
"I did it for you, there has not been a day I haven't thought about you."
"That doesn't make up for the fact that you ruined my life."
"I know, I know I'll never make it up but please, please understand that you are all I need. Don't you see that we're meant to be? You are perfect, so fucking perfect and I need you to fix me, baby, please-"
"I am not your baby. That was when we were younger, in the past. You can't walk in to my life and expect me to drop everything for you." 

It was silent for a while, neither one of us knowing what to say.
"Tell me what happened with Jason. How did you do that?"
"I had you tracked. I knew you wouldn't speak to me so I wanted you to fall for him so he could get me information. But he fell in love with you, which was not part of the plan."
"Why did you get someone to track me? Why couldn't you have just got help and found another girl?" Kayden looked at me in disbelief.
"Another girl is not even in the question. It's you or no one. I can't let you go again, Amy, I can't." I didn't reply, instead, closed my eyes as I tried to comprehend everything that I had been told. This boy standing in front of me was the love of my life, but he ruined everything I had. But then it turns out all the bad things he did he didn't actually do? Yet it still hurts. It hurts a lot.
"When I found out that we have a child." Kayden shook his head and smiled. "It was a feeling I can't describe. This is all I've ever wanted, Amy. We can finally be a family. I will look after you, you and Jessica, I will protect you. Amy, you are my number one priority. Always have been always will be." He stepped closer and leant down a little, pressing his lips onto mine as he tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. The feeling of his body next to mine brought me back to when I was seventeen, when I had the whole world in my hands. I wanted to push away, but the safety I felt in his arms overwhelmed me.
"I love you." He breathed. I finally stepped away.
"I'm not doing this for me." I clearly stated, even though my mind was a mess. "I'm doing it for Jessica. I'll let you see her." Kaydens eyes lit up as soon as those words fell off my mouth.
"Tomorrow? Can we please do it tomorrow?"
"We can meet at the play area in town if you want, she loves it there."
"Yes, yes I want to. What time? I'll be there."
"2pm. We'll meet you there," I nodded, looking at my hands, thinking what the fuck am I doing.
"I should go now." I let out, confused about what just happened.
"It's getting dark, let me walk you home."
"No!" I blurted, widening my eyes a little.
"I mean, uh, I'm fine. I'll see you tomorrow Kayden."