Chapter 10: Radagast the Brown

Allie's POV

Thorin tossed me my bow and arrows with a smile and I thanked him as I put them on my back.

"Where did you go to, if I may ask?" Thorin asked Gandalf.

"To look ahead." the wizard answered.

"What brought you back?"

"Looking behind. Nasty business. Still they all are in one piece."

"No thanks to your burglar."

"He had the nous to play for time. None of the rest of you thought of that." Gandalf looked up at the frozen trolls. "They must have come down from the Ettenmoors."

"Since when did the mountain trolls venture this far south?" Thorin asked.

"Oh, not for an age. Not since a darker power ruled these lands...They could not have moved in daylight."

"There must be a cave nearby." Thorin realized, walking off to look for Bert, Tom, and William's cave. Everyone else joined in, and eventually, we found their cave.

"Oh, what's that stench?!" Bofur complained as we investigated inside.

"It's a troll hoard. Be careful what you touch." Gandalf warned. The dwarves and I coughed from the foul smell and I tried not to breath out of my nose. Some of the dwarves found the trolls treasure and Bofur said "Seems a shame just to leave it lying around. Anyone could take it."

"Agreed. Nori, get a shovel." Gloin decided. Bilbo and I just stood there, not really knowing what to do, as Gandalf and Thorin discovered some swords and weapons.

Thorin picked one up and said "These swords were not made by any troll." He handed it to Gandalf. "Nor were they made by any smith among men. These were forged in Gondolin, by the High Elves, of the First Age."

At hearing this, Thorin started to put the sword back and I rolled my eyes. "You could not wish for a finer blade." Gandalf told him. Thorin reluctantly stopped putting the sword away and started examining it instead.

"He treats me like that sword. First he liked me. Then he said I was the enemy. Then he liked me again." I whispered in Bilbo's ear. The hobbit nodded and glanced at me out of the corner of his eye.

The two of us turned and watched as some of the dwarves started burying the trolls treasure. They really did have a thing for wealth...

"We're making a long-term deposit." Gloin explained loudly. I rolled my eyes.

"Let's get out of this foul place. Come on, let's go. Bofur, Gloin, Nori!" Thorin urged. I sighed in relief and followed him out of the cage. I looked over my shoulder to see if Bilbo was coming and saw that Gandalf had stopped him and was giving him an elf-made dagger.

I watched the two of them but jumped in surprise when Thorin shouted "Something's coming!"

We all started running through the forest and I could barely see where I was going because the leaves were scratching my face. One of my hands was on my bow, ready to grab it if there was danger.

Everyone stopped in a group and I had my bow in my hands now. I noticed everyone else also had their weapons drawn.

Suddenly, a sled pulled by rabbits flew off of a rock and landed in front of us. "Thieves! Fire! Murder!" the old man driving the sled yelled. He had a crazy hat, a messy beard, was about as tall as a short dwarf, and was carrying a staff with a blue crystal on the top.

 He had a crazy hat, a messy beard, was about as tall as a short dwarf, and was carrying a staff with a blue crystal on the top

"Radagast. It's Radagast the Brown!" Gandalf said happily, putting his sword away and approaching the old man. "What on earth are you doing here?"

"I was looking for you, Gandalf. Something's wrong. Something's terribly wrong."

Gandalf looked cautious and worried. "Yes?"

Radagast was about to speak, but suddenly stopped and frowned. "Just give me a minute. Um...Oh! I had a thought and now I've lost it. It was...it was was right there, on the tip of my tongue!"

An expression of realization appeared on Radagast's face. When he spoke, it was hard to understand because his tongue was sticking out a bit. "Oh! It's not a thought at all! It's a silly old," Gandalf pulled a small stick insect off of Radagast's tongue. "stick insect!" the weird old man finished.

I scrunched my nose in disgust but didn't say anything

I scrunched my nose in disgust but didn't say anything. Gandalf handed the insect to Radagast. "The Greenwood is sick, Gandalf. A darkness has fallen over it, nothing grows anymore. At least nothing good. The air is foul decay, but worse are the webs."

Gandalf frowned. "Webs? What do you mean?"

"Spiders, Gandalf. Giant ones. Some kind of spawn of Ungoliant, or I'm not a wizard. I followed their trail. They came from Dol Guldur."

I gasped as Gandalf said "Dol Guldur? But the old fortress is abandoned."

"No, Gandalf. It is not. A dark power dwells in there, such as I have never felt before. It is the shadow of an ancient horror. One that can summon the spirits of the dead. I saw him, Gandalf. From out of the darkness, the Necromancer has come!" Radagast was shaken after he told the story. My mouth was wide open in shock as Radagast said "Sorry."

"Try a little old Toby. It'll help setting your nerves." Gandalf said, placing his pipe in Radagast's mouth.

Radagast inhaled and his eyes crossed. I covered my mouth and tried not to giggle. Gandalf pulled out his pipe and said "And out."

Exhaling, Radagast let out the smoke and looked relaxed.

Gandalf continued. "Now, the Necromancer. Are you sure?"

Radagast pulled a sword out from who knows where and handed it to Gandalf. "That is not from the world of the living." Radagast said.

I was interested in this sword. I closed my eyes and made a glow with my hand. Opening my eyes, I placed my hand over the sword and examined it under the light.

Radagast suddenly grabbed my hand and I jumped. He examined the light and said "Who are you..."

"I am Lady Allie Wildstar. Daughter of Lord Elrond. I have the power of light." I answered, watching his eyes go wide as he touched the glowing light.

"Are you sure that light is your only power..."

I frowned and said "Well... I haven't really thought about trying something else..."

Radagast looked up at me and said "It is beautiful magic, but you could do more."

I looked up at Gandalf and we exchanged a look that said 'he might be right'. Slowly, I pulled my hand away from Radagast and stopped the glowing.

Radagast the Brown looked at me and smiled. "You will do great things, Allie Wildstar."

But the moment was broken when a howl was heard through the air...