05 ➵ MIRAGE | ATEEZ

GENRE: mystery/horror

MAIN: ateez ot8

WARNINGS: mentions of suicide and suicide scenes, murder, fire incidents, car crashes, blood and throwing up, self harm and abuse, and other explicit themes.

WORD COUNT: 10k

NOTE: this was my entry for the ateez storyline contest :] nothing much to say but I had looooads of fun writing it, with lots of help from lex <3 it would kind of help if you read into the images that prompted the writing for this, since a lot of its elements r spun into the story, but even if you don't that's fine. okay onto the story

ㅡ  ㅡ  

All events mentioned in this story are purely fictional, and only for entertainment purposes. The characters nor the storyline are affiliated with ATEEZ members whatsoever.

Read with precaution. Keep your eyes peeled. Connect the dots.

Good luck.

ㅡ ㅡ

ARC 01 — THE COMBUSTION

(1) 15.06.2010, KANG YEOSANG.

All things considered, a mud cake was better than no cake at all.

Yeosang thought the cake looked pretty good. The rain had stopped a few minutes earlier and the ground was still wet, allowing him to sculpt a cake from scratch — a little sprout for a candle, pebbles circling the outer rim much like frosting would. 'Happy 11th' had been carved onto the middle with a twig, though Yeosang was really questioning the intentions behind the 'Happy' on the cake now.

His watch beeped. 23:55. In five minutes his birthday would be over . . .

Without a wish from either of his parents.

Five minutes passed. His watch bleeped again. A raindrop landed on his head, the beginning of more impending.

Yeosang stopped twirling his finger on the top of his mud cake and let out a strangled sob.

It was bad enough that his birthday had to fall on a weekend, resulting in him spending the whole day without any contact to his friends whatsoever. His parents completely ignoring his existence (not for the first time) was just the cherry on top. No cake, no gifts, not even a simple, 'Happy birthday, Kang Yeosang'.

Nothing.

Yeosang was so, so sick of it all.

A tear dropped from his left eye, and he wiped it away, only to feel more coming after it. More and more tears.

He was crying. Yeosang was crying.

He never cried. He wasn't allowed to cry. He couldn't cry. He wouldn't —

("If you cry in front of me again, Kang Yeosang, you will face consequences. I didn't raise a weakling. You have to learn how to stand up for yourself.")

Another sob broke loose, and Yeosang didn't care to hold it back anymore.

With a frustrated yell, he kicked at his lousy mud cake, tears streaming down his cheeks and landing on his orange raincoat. He was about to stomp it level to the ground and release all his pent up anger when he felt a hand on his shoulder, making him pause and look around.