Counterpart

Zutara Week 2020

Day 2 Counterpart

Reluctant Soulmates

"Katara, it is so lovely to see you again." Yue smiled kindly at her. "Please, sit and have tea with me."

Katara blinked at the princess, looking at the tea set next to her under a beautiful willow tree by a pond, carefree turtleducks swam and soft green blades of grass ruffled with the breeze. The sun was high in the sky, beating down on them and providing warmth. They were in some type of elegant home, the alabaster white walls and sloped roofs surrounding them, but not another soul in sight. Katara had no idea where they were at.

As a matter of fact, she had no idea how the immortal princess could be talking to her right now.

"Yue? Where am I?"

She waved a graceful hand in nonchalance. "Come. Have tea with me."

Stiffly, she folded herself down on the other side of the table, accepting the saucer of tea. She noted the billowy white gown that incased the princess. So... was this a dream, or was she in the spirit world?

She didn't think she was spiritual enough to have happened upon the spirit world. It didn't really look like she thought the spirit world would look either. It was nice, but not otherworldly. And her and Yue hadn't gotten too close before she sacrificed her life to become the moon spirit, so why was she paying Katara a visit?

"What's going on?" Katara finally asked, completely perplexed. "I'm not in the spirit world, right?"

Yue laughed softly. "No, Katara. You're just dreaming. But I do have something important to say."

Katara just stared at the older girl, waiting for her to elaborate.

The moon spirit tilted her mouth in amusement at her impatience. "The spirits seemed to think I'd be the best candidate that you would heed to. In order to end this war and regain balance, you are a key factor. Even the spirits would benefit from balance returned to the natural world."

Katara bowed her head in respect. "I am doing my best to teach Aang, he has almost mastered water bending."

Yue shook her head. "That's not what I meant. The Avatar will play his part and defeat the tyrant Fire Lord. But you also have a momentous decision that will decide the fate of the world. You must work with your counterpart before, during, and after the fighting. He will come to you, and your choice to refuse or accept him will be the factor that brings true peace or not."

The young water bending master gapped at her. "What in the world are you talking about? Who are you talking about?"

Suddenly the pleasant surroundings disappeared and Katara sat on her knees looking up to Yue. There was nothingness but black around them. Katara almost screeched as two dragons suddenly flew in a circle around them. Blue and red, dancing together in harmony. Yue's voice boomed loudly in the void, demanding her attention and reverence.

"You could have one of the greatest love stories in history. Your souls are yin and yang. By his side, you both could bring peace and healing to a broken nation, and mend the wounds of the war. It is your destiny, your fates are intertwined, but first you must forgive him."

The scene changed again, and she and Yue stood in the Spirit Oasis at the North Pole, staring down into the pond of rotating koi fish. The moon reflected in the water, proudly shining in the sky.

"Perfect balance." Yue whispered. "You must forgive him. He must open his heart to you. Only when you understand each other, can you overcome."

She was falling into the pond, it was so cold, she couldn't breathe, she couldn't move. She fell through the water- up or down?- falling falling falling into empty blackness. The dragons danced around her. They breathed their fire at her, and she could only scream as heat so intense engulfed her very being and ran through her veins.