Fuse

Zutara Week 2020

Day 3 Fuse

Steamy

"Is that all?" Katara goaded, coating her arms in water. They'd been at each other for maybe a half hour now. She was getting tired.

Zuko grit his teeth and attacked anew. Punch, punch, kick. Each of his fire attacks was met with her water, fusing together to burst into steam all around them.

They'd fought so many times now, and knew each other's strengths and weaknesses. He knew her defenses were weaker in closer contact, but she knew that too and was giving him a hard time trying to get close. He growled angrily when her water whips kept being aimed at his feet, forcing him to break his root and back away from her.

He swiveled on the ground, his feet kicking out and causing a whirlwind of fire around him. Katara shouted and raised herself up on a water spout, arching above him twenty feet in the air.

He dodged the sharp icicles and discs and streams of water, using his heat to create a heavy steam and obscure him from her vision. He moved quickly, not wanting her to catch on to his plan. He ran to the water spout, sending a plume of flames into the water, steam hissing everywhere as the water evaporated.

Katara screeched as her pillar disappeared beneath her, trying to call up more water to catch her from falling.

Gravity was quick though.

Instead, she waved her arms to disperse the steam and have the water droplets slow her plummet to the ground.

She landed safely in Zuko's arms. He smirked down at her. "I'd call that my win, love."

"That was a dirty move you pulled." She playfully glared at him.

Zuko gently set her down on her feet, "All's fair in love and war."

Before she could retort with more than an eye roll, a little body collided into her and clung onto her leg.

"Mommy, you fell! It was scary!"

Katara knelt down, tucking her daughter's dark brown hair behind her ear. She was a perfect fusion of them, with her dark skin and sharp features. At the moment, her golden eyes were full of tears. "Izumi, I knew your father would catch me. I was perfectly safe the whole time."

Izumi simply sniffed, nodding slowly. Zuko rested his hand on the top of her head. "Sorry for scaring you, little one. We won't do that again. Now, doesn't someone have a fire bending lesson to go to?"

The girl nodded, taking her father's hand and pulling him with her. Zuko waved at Katara and allowed his daughter to drag him along.

Katara smiled fondly. Who would have known the path their lives took..

She stretched out her muscles and felt her joints pop. She wasn't as young as she used to be. "Well, I better go check that Kai hasn't flooded the nursery again."

After all, her duties as Fire Lady came after her children.

Shorter prompt today. Dis was gonna be sexy times but I decided to be clean with this series. Sorry, sinners.

-Joy