Hesitancy

Zutara Week 2020

Day 5 Hesitancy

Something Maybe?

*A/N: you could technically connect this prompt with Day 4's or read it separately*

Mai and Ty Lee ended up dating when they're trapped at the Boiling Rock. Mai was touched by Ty Lee's devotion to her over Azula, and she knew that things weren't going to work out with Zuko. And then being locked up together, one thing led to another...

Zuko is a little shocked to hear of the development about a week after the war ends. He isn't as upset as he thought he would be. He hadn't really expected to get back together with Mai anyways. Their feelings may have been real, but in no way was their relationship going to last. They just weren't fit for each other. It seems they both knew that, at least. He was grateful they were both okay and Azula hadn't tortured them to death. He was glad they'd found happiness with each other.

He really didn't spend much more thought on it than that. There was another girl occupying his thoughts.

He's been spending most of his time resting in his bedroom, having several painful healing sessions with Katara to get the remnants of lightning out of his chi pathways. They've gotten physically closer over the week... a weird tension filled the air full of unspoken words and hesitant emotions. A different kind of lightning in his veins.

It isn't lost on him that he almost died for her. They'd had a rocky start to say the least, but after traveling with her to Yon Ra... confiding in each other about their mothers, about his scar, his abuse, her anger and guilt, her pressure to grow up quicker and take care of others first... They were both robbed of their childhoods, both fought to get where they were now. Both had light and dark within themselves.

They had gotten so close. He'd never been so close to anyone. He'd told her things that even Mai wouldn't bother to listen to.

Of course he jumped in front of lightning for her. What else was there to do?

He thinks he might...

~~~xoxo~~~

Aang is annoying.

So is Sokka.

Every day they storm into his room, interrupting his rest. Aang bemoans that Zuko is hogging Katara all to himself (although Zuko often wonders if Katara is consciously avoiding Aang sometimes). Sokka keeps 'checking in' which is code for 'big brother investigation to make sure there's no funny business'.

Suki and Toph can usually wrangle the boys away, for which Zuko is grateful. They can cause trouble elsewhere.

For now, it was quiet. Zuko looks over to where Katara had been at his writing desk, sending letters to their allies and to her family that the war was over. She had her head resting on her folded arms, fast asleep.

He grimaced. She wasn't resting well because she had to heal him every couple hours. The electric shock still swirling in his chi sometimes set his heart off kilter, and the nasty open wound on his chest kept getting infected even with her dutiful cleaning and healing. It's lingering hatred was still trying to kill him. Zuko pondered if Aang had also had trouble recovering from the lightning, but he had spiritual water to heal him. Zuko had no spiritual water, and he had no idea how long he laid almost dying as he had to listen to Katara face his sister alone. It wasn't an experience he liked to relive.

At the moment, he felt somewhat okay, except he really needed some water. There was a glass right there on his night stand, he just had to sit up and reach out for it. Surely, he could do that much?

He lay there for a few moments, gathering the strength to put his arms under him and slowly shimmy his body upwards to rest against the headboard. By the time he finally got to sitting up, he was huffing in agony.

Now he had to get the water...

"What are you doing?" Katara hissed at him, startling him.

Zuko rested his head back, taking deep breaths to counter the pain radiating in his chest. "I wanted some water."

"Then call for me!" Katara snapped at him. "Don't hurt yourself more for stupid water."

His eyes pierced into hers. Did her words hold a double meaning? "You were sleeping, Katara. I wasn't going to disturb you. I'm already the reason-"

"Don't." She shook her head, "I can go without sleep Zuko. It's the least I can do for you."

He didn't want to tell her that other healers and servants could come give her a break. He selfishly didn't want her to leave his side. But... he couldn't keep her here forever.

"You don't owe me anything Katara. You don't have to run yourself into the ground just to-"

"Excuse me, did you just say I don't owe you anything? Because last I checked, you're in this situation for saving my life."

Zuko grimaced. "And you saved mine. I didn't do that so you'd be indebted to me."

Katara threw her hands up, "I know that Zuko! Maybe I just want to help you, okay?!"

He sighed, letting it drop. Always the helper.

"Just... don't forget to take care of yourself, too, okay?" He mumbled, looking down at his hands.

Her eyes softened and she laid her hand over his and squeezed. "If I really need a break I'll take one, okay? I promise."

Zuko nodded, staring at their clasped hands. Her hands were always soft, no matter how much she fought.

"Here, drink." She disentangled her hand to grab the cup and bring it to his lips.

He drank gratefully. He didn't bring up the subject again as Katara fussed over him, giving him a sponge bath, feeding him soup, giving him another healing session.

Something had changed from before.

The way that her soft hands traced over him, the soft look in her eyes and even the easier tilt of her mouth. She was different, and his heart stuttered in his chest at the thought that maybe she...

falling for you

First of all, Mai is gayyyyy and you can't convince me otherwise. I'd like to think Ty Lee is pan. These are my thoughts take them or leave them.

This is another prompt I could possibly see myself continuing. Slow burning affection

So have y'all ever had surgery? I had abdominal surgery last year and let me tell you, recovery is so hard. Sitting up was a struggle, standing and walking near impossible. Could barely do a thing. I'd think that recovery for Zuko would be similar, though faster with a steady healer. So these are my ideas of what happened between the fight with Azula and his coronation. Hesitant affection and unsaid feelings. What I wished had happen (sob)

-Joy