Chapter Eleven: The Party/The Bridge

At the Grand Palais, couples in splendor and fancy suits and dresses, waltzed on the floor while guests whispered excitedly about Anastasia appearing for the first time in 10 long years. Many of them were at the opening ball in St. Petersburg all those years ago. An ornate chair sat alone on an empty stage, waiting for the Princess to arrive.

Anya looked through the curtaiin at the dancing crowd, looking around for Braedey, even though she knew he wasn't there. Marie slowly walked up to her granddaughter, taking note of her looking at the crowds down waltzing.

Marie watched Anya

Marie watched Anya. "He's not there."

"Oh, I know he's not, he --" Anya was caught, turning back to her grandmama. She tried to cover, badly. "Who's not there, Grandmama?..."

"A remarkable young man who found a music box..." Marie explained.

"No, he's probably too busy spending his reward money as fast as he can." Anya brushed it off, then she and Marie looked to the populace that were now dancing.

"Look at them dance! You were born to this world of glittering jewels and fine titles, but I wonder if this is what you really want." Marie looked down at the crowds down below on the dancing floor.

"Of course, of course it is. I found what I was looking for. I found out who I am. I found you." Anya, however, doesn't seem to sound happy. She turned to look at Marie, and now her voice is filled with real warmth.

"Yes, you did find me, and you'll always have me. But is it enough?" Marie asked, as they embraced. "My darling--" For a moment, Marie just held her granddaughter. There are tears in her eyes. She knows she has to tell Anya the truth. She pulls away, looks at Anya, and sighs. "... he didn't take the money."

Anya looked at her in shock. "He... didn't?..."

"Knowing that you are alive, seeing the woman you've become, brings me joy I never thought I could feel again." Marie smiled gently. Anya embraced her, resting her head on Marie's shoulder. Marie turned Anya gently, pulling back the curtain to look at the crowd. "Whatever you choose, we will always have each other."

"Grandmama, can't you tell me--" Anya turned around, but Marie was gone. Anya peeked our of the curtains to look at the crowd. She straightened her shoulders, pushed the curtain farther back, but then heard Pooka barking. She turned to see him disappearing through the terrace doors, heading out. "Pooka?" Anya hurried off out to the Terrace.

A shadow moved through the garden door. Slithering into the darkness like the crafty Serpent of Eden. Pooka barked in the darkness. He edged Anya further out into the topiary garden. Towering hedges in the shape of horses, elephants and giraffes surrounded him. Pooka disappeared deeper and deeper into the hedge forest.

 Pooka disappeared deeper and deeper into the hedge forest