Ririth

NELOFER 

Nelofer and the other three girls were working extra hard that day. The café owner was scheduled to visit the café, discuss revenue and renew contracts.

Nelofer had never met Ririth, the owner of "Riri's Café". She had been hired through a phone interview by a hiring agency. From talking to Cynthia, she realised that everyone was hired like that and it was all of their first time meeting the owner. All they knew was that it was a woman named Ririth Kamishida. After learning Ririth's full name, in Nelofer's head, the picture of a bossy middle aged white woman with a superiority complex was replaced with that of a East Asian looking austere woman. Nelofer mentally slapped herself, why was her imagination so boring and stereotypical?

Nelofer and the girls made sure that the café was spotless after closing the café early in preparation for Ririth's arrival. Ririth was ten minutes early and the moment she entered the café, all the girls went very quiet and stood up to greet her.

Ririth was the opposite of the image in Nelofer's head. The young woman was intimidatingly beautiful. An aura of power and strength radiated off her in heatwaves. She was all smooth porcelain skin and elegance. Her presence exuded royalty, her clothes and accessories looked like they cost a fortune, her mannerism was nothing but gracefulness personified. Nelofer had never met someone so sophisticated and high-class like Riri. Nelofer's confidence suddenly dropped below the floor level, she came to the realisation that the saying "out of your league" existed to describe people like Ririth. Nelofer wished she could be successful enough one day to have that kind of confidence.

Ririth asked each of the girls to have an individual meeting with her in the staff room at the back of the shop. When it was Nelofer's turn, she walked into the meeting room with all the confidence she could gather "Hello, nice to meet you. I'm Nelofer and I've been working at this café for 3 months."

Ririth extended her hand with a cordial smile "Pleasure."

When Nelofer shook Ririth's hand, suddenly the beautiful smile on her vanished "You're the one..." Nelofer's heart almost stopped when she noticed Ririth's eyes glowing orange and felt a sudden gust of wind lifting Riri's hair around her.

Nelofer was shocked at the split change but before she could even process the situation, the pleasant smile was back on Ririth's face like nothing happened, like Nelofer just imagined it all "Take a seat for me. We have much to discuss. I'd like to start by thanking you for being such an exemplary employee. Your colleagues had great things to say about you."

Nelofer smiled, feeling burdened by the praising "Oh, no. They're just really sweet people, they've made me feel part of the team since day one. I owe it all to them. It's been a great 3 months so far."

Nelofer thought to herself that she needed to catch up on more sleep if she was hallucinating in broad daylight.

"I'm glad and relieved you're enjoying your time in the café. You're a valuable asset to the business. That brings me to the next part: I am seeing great potential in you. I'd like to offer you a full time position as a co-manager."

Nelofer was taken aback by the offer, it took her a minute to gather her thoughts and form a response "I'm flattered and humbled, at the same time. But I must decline your offer. Not because I don't want to take it, but because I cannot. I'm working towards a longtime dream of mine and I do not have the time for anything more than a part-time job at the moment."

Ririth nodded comprehensively "That's admirable, that you're following your aspirations. If I may ask: what's your dream?"

Nelofer smiled genuinely as she explained her passion for art and going to college, traveling the world learning and admiring the masterpieces from past artists.